brisket time estimation

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I put a 6 lb brisket on at 730 Am. I am trying it fat down. I kept the fat trimmings and will put them on the top about 4 hrs into smoke. I know brisket is done when it is done. Just looking for suggestions. Also whatdo you think is the best temp. Last question ( sorry ) I want to have it for dinner around 6pm. If it is done before then how should I keep it warm. Thank you Thank you

I generally allow for 2hrs/lb. on brisket, so you might be cutting it close for a 6pm dinner. It generally comes in at closer to 1.5hrs/lb, so it might be done around 4:30ish, but you're right - "it's done when it's done."

When done, wrap it in foil (double-layer) and then put in a dry, empty cooler. You could also insulate with a couple of towels to help hold the heat in. I've also used tea towels soaked in hot water in the cooler to help keep the brisket out of the "danger zone" for bacteria.

I'll be over at 6 for brisket! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kev....

I would plan on 1 1/2 hrs./lb. That is how long mine take at a temp of 225?.

Keep your temps between 225-250? and you will be fine....remember, the lower the better.

If done early, wrap in foil, then wrap in a towel and then place in a dry cooler. Add a little bit of beef stock before wrapping. You should do this for every brisket you smoke!

You can also speed the cook up by wrapping. Look for about 165-170? meat temp and then foil. Cook until it reaches 190?+.

Thanks for the reply guys. I am really looking forward to some good brisket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back