brisket temps??

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

put her on last night about 1 am. 230 temp for most of the cook but did get up to 260 for about an hour. i just checked the temp at 10 30 am and the flat said 175 and the point was 190 which confused me. i rotated the brisket twice but never turned it over. how much longer should i keep it on. been basting with apple juice. thanks for the help guys

Skip temping the point--just temp the flat in about its middle. Temp from the side and feel how the probe feels going in. Figure a temp of 188-190 if you have a hard time distinguishing when the meat fibers feel soft--you can also insert your probe from the top to feel the meat--some people prefer that angle feel-wise.

Double wrap in HD foil (you can add juice, stock, thin sauce or a mix if you like) and rest in a cooler with towels for a couple hours.

Let us know how it goes.

(Btw, the temp of 260 during cooking is not at all an issue.)

Kevin, that is the first time I have read don't temp the point. The flat really is what we are after and it has been my experience that the point can use an extra hour or two to render that fat.

Clay, the bacon works well for me too or some of the fat trimmed from the packer.

hey kevin. just wanted u to know that the brisket turned out great. foiled it a little late though. it got up to 180 and that took about 12 hours. then i foiled it and cooked it in oven at 285 degrees. then i pulled it out at 197 internal temp. which took another hour. rested it in a cooler wrapped for about 4 hours and it was great. all hail the chef they said. but all hail this web site and u guys for helping me
thanks again
smokeybeer

Back