Brisket temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Funk

TVWBB Member
I am 4 hours into a 10 pound brisket. Right now, the internal meat temperature is about 160 degrees. I can't recall what a good "done" target temperature should be. 190 - 195 degrees??

- dave -

In the "Let's Cook" section of the website, temperatures from 185* to 205* are mentioned, if that is any help. Good luck with your briskets!

Dang blast it! I have lost control of my WSM. I'm 5.5 hours into the cook and I'm running a lid temp of 295. I have tried putting bowls of ice into the water pan, taking the middle section off (and spilling lots of water) and squirting down the charcoal. Nothing seems to help. The bottom vents are closed, I have stuffed metal tape in the top vents - everything seems tight. But still it's going crazy. I think this is probably because I put a *lot* of soaked wood hunks on. I think the wood has now dried out and is adding its fury to the blaze...

- dave -

Doubt it's the wood. Normally wood just smolders and doesn't flame in a tight WSM. I'm thinking you're just not giving it enough time to drop down. With the vents closed it will still take some time for the temp to creep back down from 300. Patience. Good luck. I've got my first brisket ever on too. So far so good after some inititial temperature temperment.

If you put a lot of wood chips on that could cause the problem, also the more times you open the pit to try to fix the problem it causes the pit temp to rise.
Try removing hot coals you have too much charcoal burning or you can burp the cooker, this simply done by removing the top of the cooker dumping the hot air replasing the top again, takes just a matter of seconds.
Jim

I use to get my ecb too hot by adding a lot of wood. I have also ran my WSM at 300ish by only adding half normal water (for turkey).

I plan on brisket cooking on the close order of 1.5 hrs per pound. So far I have used the oven to finish it off both times. I have taken it off at mid one-eighties and finished it in a 300 oven.

I'm happy to report that my wsm is finally cooking 'cooler'. It ran steady today at 220 (at the top cooking grate).

Jim,

Yes, I put on a lot of wood "hunks". Enough to
almost completely cover the bed of coals. I think it made the fire really hard to control. I did try "burping" it a few times. It only helped for a few minutes. In any case, I *finally* got it back under control - I think the wood must be mostly consumed now. Whew!!!

- dave -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back