Brisket stacked on Butt

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
I failed to find a packer for my last cook. I ended up with a flat without much fat. Two butts cooked on the top grate and the flat fat side down on the bottom grate. After 9 hours of cooking at 210, I decided to lay the brisket on top of the butts. Flat, fat side up, was stacked on the butts. As thin as the flat was, I felt it would stay more moist if it layed on the butts. For 8 hours it continued to cook. For the final 2 hours, I put it back on the bottom rack. Total cook 19 hours for a medium size flat.

This appears to be the most moist flat I have cooked without using foil. What about it ?

I believe that flats need the time in the smoker but they are more prone to drying out. This stacking method seems to help get the desired result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
This stacking method seems to help get the desired result. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you been able to reproduce the results ?
If you can consistently produce a result it isn't crazy, it's a method.

I agree. Try it again and see how it goes. I have not done a flat in ages (overtrimmed or otherwise) but the approach made sense to me when you first posted it.

Steve
That's the way it's done, really.
You come up with something *you* think is cool.
If it can be repeated by any of us, you're on to something. Obviously, if you can repeat it first you can convince more folks to try it out.

I did a primal cut brisket (bones and all attached) I had the point bit that wouldn't fit sitting on top. That sucker was tasty and moist. I'm not going to suggest that this is the best way to cook a brisket because I have only done this once. But if it works again I may suggest that others try using a primal cut (especially for comps) because the moistness was unbelievable!

Back