brisket questions

Greg M.

TVWBB Fan
I have a few questions regarding the brisket. Although the virtual brisket is very helpful, I couldn't tell the flat from the point in the diagram. I've only cooked flats before, but Costco was out so I ended up with a wally world packer. I can't tell the flat from the point. Mine is thicker on one end just like the virtual brisket picture. I'm guessing the flat is the non-thick part, but need some reassurance. Hopefully I'll be able to answer the quesiton for the next yahoo that comes around.

Secondly, what is the best way to separate the two prior to slicing the flat? As per my previous question, I may have trouble figuring out what is what.

Lastly, I'm going to serve out of stainless chaffing dishes. It won't be held for more than an hour, but should I add beef broth or something to the bottom of the dish? I guess I'm worried about it drying out.

And finally, thank you for the site and all your help.

Oops, I forgot one. Brisket will be done around 11 am. Dinners at 6:30. I plan to foil in a cooler for two hours and move it to the fridge (whole). At 4:30 put the still foiled brisket into a 300 degree oven, with a little beef broth, until internal registers 150. Back into the cooler until 6:15 at which time I'll slice and serve.

Am I on the right track?

Hi Greg.

The point basically sits about 3/4 on top of the flat. They are separated by a huge vein of fat between the two. The flat is just that, wide and flat. The point is a little narrower and rounder.

If in doubt, it doesn't really matter too much. You can just trim the fat to about 1/4 inch thick and put it in with the fattier part facing down. Once it is cooked, you won't have much trouble separating. The two pieces come apart without much resistance at all.

Regarding your times... is there any way you can postpone your cook about 2-3 hours? I think you'd be better off pulling it around 2 - 3 p.m. It will easily stay hot in a cooler until you are ready. that would be preferable to cooling, then reheating that same day. That said, if you can't postpone the cook a couple of hours, your plan is fine, but I would be really careful not to get that brisket anywhere past 150 on the reheat. If you are reheating in a 300 oven, I'd take it out at 140. It will rise another 5 degrees.

Good luck!

Thanks Adam. It was on as I was typing so holding off a few hours wasn't possible. It did finish up at 1:00 instead of 11:00, so I wrapped in foil/towel/fleece and put into the cooler. I put a probe in to keep track of the temp. It will have two butts on it when they're done. That should keep it warm until around 6.

I noticed the point/flat difference when I took it off. I worried too much about that - it was obvious.

You can always leave it foiled and put it in the oven at 140-160º. You can leave it like this for a couple hours. I believe health dept. says you can leave it like this for 4 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M.:
Thanks Adam. It was on as I was typing so holding off a few hours wasn't possible. It did finish up at 1:00 instead of 11:00, so I wrapped in foil/towel/fleece and put into the cooler. I put a probe in to keep track of the temp. It will have two butts on it when they're done. That should keep it warm until around 6.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>You won't have any problem at all keeping it warm for 5 hours - especially if you've got a few butts going on top of it.

Let us know how it all turns out. I'm sure your guests will be pretty darn happy when they arrive.

The brisket turned out great. The temp. stayed above 140, but the part of the flat not under the point ended up a little dry. I suspect that had to be because it wasn't as thick as the portion under the point.

I was surprised at how much fuel I used for the roughly 18 hour cook. It could be due to the temperature being in the high 20's. Learn from experience I guess.

Back