Brisket question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe C

TVWBB Member
I asked the butcher at our Wegman's mrkt for a brisket flat and all he had were what he called 'middle cut briskets'. They are beautiful pieces of meat but there is absolutely no fat cap or any fat for that matter on them. When I told him I wanted one with the fat cap he just said "Oh we don't sell that garbage, nobody would buy it". You can see what I'm up against here in northeast Pa lol. I have bought many briskets at another shop with the fat cap but I had to order them and this cook came up on short notice. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here ever cooked a 'middle cut brisket' and if you did anything different and if it came out ok. I'm concerened that it might be dry. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Put some slabs of bacon on it and cook it until internal of 160. Double wrap it in foil with some worchestershire sauce or beef broth and continue cooking until 190-195. Take out and put in a cooler wrapped with towels over it for an hour or so. Take it out and let rest for 20 minutes.

Enjoy.

I agree with Jeff, the only differents is that i take the fat skin from ham hocks and use instead of bacon.

I have to beg my butcher to leave me an untrimmed brisket, too.
He usually saves me a point with all the fat on, but that's usually way too much fat, and it's on both sides. So I ask him to trim it down to about 1/3 of and inch on one side. Sounds reasonable, right? Wrong. the butcher usually goes into butcher auto-pilot mode and trims most of the precious fat off before I can tell him to stop. Which means I end up with a brisket that I special ordered that's almost as naked as the trimmed ones. *%#&^@%!
So, when that happens (and it's happened more than once) I just ask him for the now detached fat. He gives that to me for free. The fat chunks are fairly big, and fairly thick when they come off the point end.
As for cooking, I do the dry rub thing as usual and then put the fat on top of the naked, lean areas, using toothpicks to hold it in place. I've heard some folks refer to this as "larding" and it's worked really well in the past for me.
If you're really concerned about dryness, mop that sucker every now and then with your favorite mop --and add some olive oil to your favorite mop recipe. That also has kept those leaner briskets moist for me.
The bacon and pork fat ideas sound yummy too.
I'll have to try that next time.
To quote Emeral Lagasse -- pork fat rules!
HJP

Wow!

I guess I don't know how lucky I am to have a good butcher! Even though I'm in the frozen North, my local butcher understands my needs perfectly when I explain what I'm smoking, be it butt, brisket, ribs, what have you. I have always paid a premium to go to the butcher as opposed to the grocery store, but I have always felt it was worth it. Not to mention it's worth every cent just to have someone else fight with the membrane on a slab of ribs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back