Brisket Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought a couple of briskets at BJ?s yesterday and am cooking one now (my first brisket and my first overnight cook). The brisket pictured here looks a lot thicker then the one I bought. I believe I have a ?flat?. It is very lean. I think it is about 7 lbs. How long should I expect it to cook before it is done? Should I baste it?

Thanks!

Craig

Craig....

Any time you cook briskets, you must pay attention to the thickness. Now, if you have never cooked one, you have no frame of reference, so take some good notes. Eyeball the thickness and note how long it takes at the temp you are cooking at. Then you need to remember that the next time you cook a brisket.

Hope it turns out well!

I would consider flipping that flat at the 3 hour mark. At the six hour mark I would foil and add some apple juice, close it up tight. Once the internal temp reaches 180 to 185 start checking for tender. You could be done from that point till the internal reaches as high as 200? depending on fat content of that brisket.
Jim

Thanks for the replies!

It was a very lean brisket. I put it on at 11:00 PM. I set my Maverick for a low of 205 and a high of 280. I set the internal meat thermometer for 190.

The smoker stabilized at 237. I went to bed and set my alarm to 3:00 am. At 3:00 AM it was still 237! I flipped it, put some apple juice on it and went back to bed. The Maverick woke me up at 4:30 with a temperature warning. I opened up the vents 33 percent and threw on a few more unlit charcoals. I went back to bed and the Maverick woke me up at 8:30 am when the meat reached 190.

I took it off at about 193 and foiled it.

That was the first time I?ve had smoked brisket. Very tasty! We went away during the day so we did not eat most of it yet.

What?s the best thing to do with a cold brisket? I would think that micro-waving it would dry it out.

When you serve yours ?hot off the smoker? do you make some kind of sauce for it or do you eat it like steak?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig Brown:
[qb] What?s the best thing to do with a cold brisket? I would think that micro-waving it would dry it out.

When you serve yours ?hot off the smoker? do you make some kind of sauce for it or do you eat it like steak? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Slice it cold and gently microwave it-- 30% power is good-- in a loosely covered dish for just a couple of minutes. Add a couple of tablespoons of broth or apple juice or even plain water per serving, and it will re-heat just fine.

Right off the smoker, you want to rest it first-- 20 minutes at least-- and slice it 1/8 - 1/4" thick--very important-- against the grain. I like a tangy tomato-based sauce (not sweet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back