brisket question

John Sampson

TVWBB Member
i am cooking a flat tommorow about a six pounder, my wharehouse did not have any whole ones,the last one i try to do came out dry. this time i will use a wet rub,any tips on the cook itself, temps,times, cooker setup,ect would be helpful, i will put the wet rub on tonight and set it in the fridge overnight.
thanks

I usually foil my brisket between 160 - 165 degrees. When I foil I usually add 1/4 cup of beef broth mixed with a little rub. Then I take out of the smoker around 195, give or take. It depends on how it feels. If you stick your thermometer in the brisket and it goes in like butter, your brisket is ready.

Leave it set wrapped in a cooler for at least an hour. Best is 2 to 3 hours. When you take it out of the foil save the juice and defat.

It works for me.

I should have also mentioned that sometimes I don't add beef broth at foiling time, but I add it when I take the brisket off to rest.

If you add broth when you foil keep track of your temps. You could braise the brisket and turn it to pot roast
icon_frown.gif
. My theory of adding broth is that when the brisket cools it will absorbe some of the liquid back into the brisket.

Back