Brisket Question (w/Pics)

Sam S.

TVWBB Member
I am smoking a brisket that was originally 14 pounds. While trimming the brisket I decided to make it into a flat because I am not a big fan of the point and on side of the brisket was very thin. I rubbed both the point (burnt ends) and the flat and stored for 24hrs. Pulled out the meat and decided to take the point and cut it so that I could place it over the really thin parts of the flat. See pic.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/BeenSmokin/971f2e5a.jpg

Is there a problem in doing this? I have read on previous posts that the rub will get nasty if it is not exposed to the smoker. I am planning on removing the point portion and exposing the flat for about 2 hours before taking off. Will that be enough time to create a bark without drying the brisket?

BTW also doing 2 8lb butts.
Butts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sam S.:

Is there a problem in doing this? I have read on previous posts that the rub will get nasty if it is not exposed to the smoker. I am planning on removing the point portion and exposing the flat for about 2 hours before taking off. Will that be enough time to create a bark without drying the brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm guessing it should be ok. 2 hrs should be enough time for the bark to dry out where the point was sitting on the flat. You could flip it when you take the point meat off of the flat and that should help it dry up even more. Now you just need to figure out at what temp to remove the point meat off the flat so your time is right. I would say some where in the low 170's should be about right depending on what your final temp your taking it to is?
icon_smile.gif

Well everything turned out good.
The Brisket was a little dry for me but everyone else loved it. Probably me being to critical.
I thought after doing a Brisket Flat last week I was done with packers. But the Burnt ends from the point were fantastic. I smoked the cut up point for about 2 hours after pulling the brisket and put them in some sweet and spicy sauce with some brown sugar on it. Called it Beef Candy very good.
Here is the pic of the brisket and the butt.
fd81a419.jpg

f8f82af3.jpg

Sam

Back