Brisket Prices - Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
I looked in six different food stores for brisket. All store are in the southeast PA area.

Giant - no brisket
Acme - no brisket
BJ's (i.e. Sam's, Costco) - $3.49 lb.
SuperFresh - $3.99 lb.
Wegman's - $3.99 lb.
Genuardi's - $5.99 lb. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

What is going on?!?!? What happen to "Brisket is a cheap cut"? Is this a time of year thing? Mad cow? Normal going rate in PA?

Looks like my Super Bowl Brisket plans are shot. I will be smoking baby backs on Sunday. At least I won't have to worry about an all-night cook.

Rob,

do you have a sam's club or costco nearby? I was able to get my super bowl brisket from sam's for 1.65 lb.

I used to belong to Sam's but didn't smoke briskets at the time. Maybe I'll sneak back in just to see what they are selling for.

9 lb brisket at $1.65 = $14.85
9 lb brisket at $3.49 = $31.41
9 lb brisket at $3.99 = $35.91
9 lb brisket at $5.99 = $53.91!!!

It may be worth the price of membership just for my brisket shopping. One would pay for the membership!

Oh, sure Bob. I just noticed you are from Texas. You guys are probably tripping over briskets down there! Around here they looked at you cross-eyed when you ask for one. Forget asking if it's a flat of packer cut!

I'll let you know what I find out at Sam's.

Thanks.
Rob

My local Cash-and-Carry in San Jose used to have them for $1.10-$1.15/lb. (select packer cut). This week, $1.95/lb.

I don't know about masd cow, but I was one mad cow barbecuer (hehe).

Clark

I stopped buying when it got over $1.25 a pound. I always check. $1.60 last time at Wally. My patience is wearing thin.

Choice packers were $1.48/lb. today at WalMart. I already had spares and chicken to do, so I passed. Might have to go back and get some, tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back