Brisket & Pork Butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
I see that many of you seem to cook this combination together?
If they are cooking at the same temp, will the two types of meat cook at the same rate if they are relatively the same size?
I have a group of about 10 coming for dinner in a few weeks, and I was going to try to do this combination for a little variety. I have never done either before.
I will lean on your wisdom, should I do one or the other if it is my first time?
Thanks.

Todd
A 12 to 13 pound whole brisket takes me about 16 hours normally to finish and a 6 to 8 pound pork butt will go for 13 to 14 hours.
As the meat finishes you can wrap in plastic wrap then foil and place in a dry cooler, both will stay very warm for 4 to 5 hours. Finishing ahead and holding in the cooler is much easier and less stressful than trying to predict the exact finish of both cuts.
Jim

My experience has been that brisket takes about 1 1/2 hours per pound to cook. Pork butt takes about 2 hours per pound. However, if you cook the pork on the top grate (hotter) and the brisket on the bottom grate (cooler), then it helps equal out times. I'm actually going to do this combo on Saturday night for the game on Sunday.

As always, thanks for the insight. I will give them a try. If I might impose on you further, how much pork butt should I buy for 10+ servings? I dont mind some leftovers but I usually over estimate everything "a bit much" my wife would say /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Clay:
[qb] I'm actually going to do this combo on Saturday night for the game on Sunday.
A pig serves no other purpose in life but to be delicious!!
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim,
So if the only purpose is to be delicious what is it you will be watching thrown around on Sunday /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Sorry could not resist.

Todd
7 to 8 pound butt should produce 3.5 to 4 pounds of finished product. That's enough to feed 10 when you also have brisket but doing a second one would give you leftovers and insurance against BIG
eaters. The second butt won't effect the overall cooking time.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
[qb] Jim,
So if the only purpose is to be delicious what is it you will be watching thrown around on Sunday /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Sorry could not resist. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, that would be a bladder of vulcanized rubber encased in cowhide. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back