Brisket Point Chili "Colorado"

Correct, it's more of a flavor thing. Deglazing with water is okay. The beer: I know nothing of non-alc beer--what it tastes like or how it cooks--so I'm unsure about that. But just replacing the beer with stock would be fine.

Hope you like it.

Hi Kevin,

I've got a leftover point in my freezer that I've been hanging on to in anticipation of making this recipe. Do you use hot or mild New Mexicos? I've got a bag of each I ordered from Sweet Freedom Farm recently, just not sure which to use?

Thanks!
Mark

I ended up doing 3 hot and 1 mild because the rest of the family isn't so big on heat. Mild enough to keep them happy and enough to not disappoint me. In fact, it was delicious
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks again Kevin!

This is sounding very good ! I am going to do something using this as a starting point. If it is any good I will pass it along.
Thanks Kevin.

Rick

I made a spin off of this with chuck roll I cooked on the WSM. I will be doing some more of this! There is a brisket waiting to go on the WSM now. In the past I have used beef cut into cubes in chili , the smoked chuck roll was much better adding to the end product.

Rick

I'm mid-cook on this just added the meat and she's simmering. I was a little thrown by how mild it was. Does the heat intensify with the simmering? Reason I ask is the chili Colorado I eat at my little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant is spicy. My Fiancee who is Mexican and grew up with her mother's homemade cooking (she also catered) tells me it's not supposed to be spicy. Just thought I'd check. It's probably just my hole in the wall places' own version of it.

Smells wonderful!

I alter the spicy aspect with the kinds of chiles I use. I have chiles ancho, negro, and my red chiles or 'colorado' go from mild to XXX-hot. I mix them up depending on who likes it hot or mild.

Thanks Jane, I like mine with a little bit of a kick . . . may dust it with some cayenne.

Kevin brought me my first batch of red chiles that were Xtra hot. I have since found one place locally that has those. Man, they can be very hot, but then again, it depends on the batch and your tastebuds. I like it really hot, these seem to do the trick.

Also, if you're really in cayenne, Penzey's carries two different heat levels on that if you're interested.

Yummy, Yummy a full tummy!

Very tasty. Didn't spice this batch up. Next time I think I'll throw a in Chipotle pepper too. Great recipe Kevin!

It was mild to my taste too. Hot sauce did the trick for me. Like Larry I think a little chipotle , maybe some roasted fresh jalapeno would be nice . The toasted ancho and NM red makes a great base and that pineapple fits. I am working on a chili powder to finish with for the next batch I cook. I cooked a 12# packer last night for the next batch of chili. I allmost got too much smoke but it should do just fine in the chili.

Rick

Spiciness depends on the chilies used. When I created this I used extra hot NM chilies, the same as Jane mentions. Those spiced up the chili very nicely. Roasted fresh chilies are great in this as are dried hot chilies. I generally like a blend of several chilies.

Finally got around to making this with a point I smoked last weekend. Did a high temp brisket cook for the first time and rubbed it with this, the dry rub only.

I used four ancho and four NM hots. Heat was perfect. I accidentally forgot the wine and that step.

I am always amazed at some of the ingredients Kevin uses, i.e. pineapple, but it always lends a tinge of complexity that compliments the other ingredients. This is one fabulous dish. We are very happy with it.

This recipe rocks. I have been meaning to make it for a while, and finally got around to it yesterday (being prompted by my son's school having a chili cook-off coming up, wonder what recipe I might use...). Anyway, the whole thing has a great texture, color, smell, and the taste is great. The NM chilies I bought were not labeled hot or mild (the recipe cam out more on the mild-to-medium side than hot), so I might hunt around for some different peppers and play with this a bit, but I see no reason to vary too far. Good job, Kevin.

This looks really tasty and I'd like to try it this weekend (found some smoked chuck in the freezer just waiting). Question, I've got a couple of ripe Big Jims, some ripe jalapenos and serranos in the garden. How might this recipe be adjusted for fresh rather than dried chilis??

That will depend on how much heat you like and how hot your peppers are. Were it me, I'd roast peel and seed the Big Jims and reserve in the blender. I'd stem and seed 6-8 jalapeños and a couple serranos and chop. Those peppers I'd sauté in a little oil till soft and remove and stick them in the blender with the roasteds, adding 2 T of ground chile powder, preferably a blend of ancho and guajillo. This I'd purée well. (Blend well then check for texture. If the skins did not purée well enough force the mix through a sieve, rinse the blender jar, then return the mix to the jar.)

Sauté the onions as noted in the recipe and continue, puréeing half the sautéed onions with the pepper purée, also as noted in the recipe.

Thanks Erik. I'm glad you liked it. Heading your way soon. Should be there Thurs afternoon or evening--if I ever get out of here.

Back