Brisket plateau in 150*s?

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi Gang.

So has anyone ever had a brisket hit a plateau in the 150"s?

I'm doing two back cut briskets 8 lb'ers and they've been stuck at 158 (each of them) for the last hour. That's the lowest I've ever seen a plateau.

Pit temp is steady at 225 and the cook has been blissfully uneventful except for the low plateau.

Just curious is all. Now a year ago.... I would've been panicing. Now.... no problem man.

The stall is caused by connective tissue breaking down and releasing it's moisture.If enough of these cells are breaking up the steady climb in internal temp is stalled, it can run from the 150s to about 170 then the internal should climb faster.
Jim

Thanks Jim.

First time I've ever seen it occur in the 150's.

BTW, there must be a lot of connective tissue. They're still stuck at 158. I'd better keep an eye on 'em. Once they start rising I bet they shoot up like a rocket.

I think the plateau temp depends on how hot you cook. If you were cooking at 250 or so, the plateau would be up in the 160's. I wonder what your grid temp is?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:
I think the plateau temp depends on how hot you cook. If you were cooking at 250 or so, the plateau would be up in the 160's. I wonder what your grid temp is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been running pretty steady at 225. That's about where I normally cook. Maybe a hair low.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:
I think the plateau temp depends on how hot you cook. If you were cooking at 250 or so, the plateau would be up in the 160's. I wonder what your grid temp is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
that is a great observation. I've noticed my plateau temp fluctuates greatly brisket to brisket and butt to butt... just thought it was that particular piece of meat. Never equated it to the temperature of the smoker. I'll have to start taking notes of that.

Back