Brisket. Ohhh Baybee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
Well I did my 2nd brisket. Started midnight last night. My first I was a little disappointed. I left it on 3 or more hours more than I expected and still couldn't get it over 185 degrees. It was good but not as tender as I expected. Not to mention I could only find a flat.

Anyhow back to last night. I seperated the point from the flat and seasoned from the recipe in the cooking section. While at walmart we saw pork butt was on sale so we bought one of them also. I put the flat on the bottom rack with the point and the butt on the top rack. I got the flat to 180 deg and foiled that baby up and put back on the WSM. About an hour or so later the butt and the point were approaching 180 so I foiled them up also. The fuel was running low so I just figured I would run it out. About an hour later the temp was dropping to about 170 on the WSM so I moved the meat to the cooler for about another hour or so.

Man was that foil hot when I took it out of the cooler. I sliced into the point first. It was tender and very tasty. I put a little more rub on this time and could taste the cayenne. Oh yea baby. I am going to have to sub out the cayenne next time for some of my super chili's. Nice bite and nice bark.

I got to the flat oh I thought I died and gone to heaven. It was so tender. Not quite to the point to where it fell apart. Just right. I believe succulant would be the correct word. I also had the best smoke ring yet. It looked like it was about 3/8 of an inch deep. I was full before I sat at the table.
icon_wink.gif

The butt was excellent also. The brisket was soo good I couldn't bring myself to the pork.

I saw yesterday someone suggested making chili out of the leftover brisket. Oh yea baby. I never even thought of that. I have a pretty good chili recipe I have perfected over the years. Tomorrow I am going to substitute some smoked brisket for the ground beef. Oh I can't wait.

I am definately not going to shy away from the brisket anymore. Thanks to everyone here. If you didn't share your tricks my brisket would probobly still suck.

If I wouldn't of had a project going on here I would have made the chili tonight for tomorrow. You know chili is always better the next day. I don't know what it is but that always holds true for me.

Edit:
I have a question. Is sasafrass good to smoke with? Someone the other day mentioned it. That is another wood I never thought of using.

I never thought of maple until I read it here a while back. I used maple on a big smoke. 12 slabs about 5 weeks ago. Wow several slabs tasted like I poured maple syrup over them. It was funny that all weren't the same. It seemed the fatty ones tasted more like maple.

I got the pot of chili on the stove simmering. Man it smells good. I just hope I can hold out til game time.
icon_smile.gif
I hope I don't end up tasting the whole pot. Especially since it is at least 2 quarts.

Edit:
Well I was hungry for breakfast so well the chili was excellent. I have been thinking about entering some competitions. I am thinking smoking competition on saturdays and chili contest on sundays.
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back