Brisket Idea - Your Thoughts?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
Just made a last minute dicision to do brisket tomorrow. Ran out to Sam's and all they had were flats. Bought 2, 4.75 and 5.83 lbs., both pretty thin at one end. Got to thinking on the way home; what if I were to lay one on top of the other, thick end on thin end. Would this tend to even out how well done they are? What effect would it have on the smoke penetration and flavor? How about the cooking time? Am I going nuts?

OK, I know you can't really comment on the last question, but how about the concept?

JimT

Jim-

You mean the concept of whether or not you're nuts?
icon_biggrin.gif
(Couldn't resist.)

I can tell you that folding under the tails of beef or pork tenderloins works. I have never stacked briskets as a way to thicken the thin ends. Theoretically it should work. You'd have to treat the combo as one rub-wise--don't put rub on the top of the bottom one before laying on the top one: you'll end up with paste. Realize also that when you slice it one slice will be two so you'll want the grain oriented correctly when you stack them.

Because internal rendering is a dynamic that applies to brisket and not really to tenderloin I cannot say if that alters the potentialfor success. Perhaps someone here has tried it before.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the question. I try not to purchase flats with very thin ends, but sometimes they're folded in the cryovac, making it seem like the flat has a more uniform thickness than it actually does. I have folded the thin ends of such brisket flats under before with acceptable results. It would seem preferable to having an entire side of each go unseasoned.

Thanks Doug & Kevin, I'll take your advice and not stack them for the cook. Right now, they are in the refigerator, slathered lightly with mustard, sprinkled well with rub and one sitting on top of the other. It seemed easier to tightly wrap them in foil this way!
icon_wink.gif

I'll be getting up around 5:30 AM Eastern Time to light the fire. More comments are welcome!!!!

Night,

JimT

Actually, it would be preferable to wrap rubbed, raw meat in plastic wrap rather than foil. Also, the mustard slather trick is usually employed on pork, but, if it works for you, no problem-- you won't taste mustard when all is said and done, anyway.

Back