Brisket Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am finally going to do my first brisket... HAd a local BBQ place get me one on her next order... Told her I wanted a whole one between 10 - 12 pounds... Got a 13 1/4 pounder !! Well needless to say I need some help... I have read lots of posts about marinating, rubs but would really like to hear from some of you "pros" out there... Make it plain and simple...
Trim ? Foil? Fat Cap? Internal temp? Marinate? Rub?
Any and all advice would really be appreciated ! Will be doing it Saturday night/Sunday morning in my WSM for a super bowl dinner...
Thanks,

Gary
Since this is your first one start by trimming the fat cap down to aprox 1/4 of an inch. At this point apply a light coating of plain yellow mustard and then apply the rub. Cover the brisket well with the rub, cover with plastic wrap and place in the frig overnight.
That next day set up WSM, plan for a long cook, I would put it on about 8 or 9 pm that day ( this will have it ready in afternoon).
When you remove the brisket from the frig and uncover the brisket reapply rub at this point (over what's already on the brisket.
Get the pit stabilized and put on the brisket. This cook is going to last 16 to 18 hours. Before you go to bed check waterpan, if it's not windy charcoal should not be a problem. I would suggest you use Kingsford because of the longer burn you will get. Plan to be get up after 6 to 7 hours of sleep and check the waterpan and stir the coals a little to knock down ash in the firering (be gentle).
At this point you could start to squirt with apple juice or mop your call.
From here you will be able to keep an eye on things. Let the internal temp reach at least 188? then start checking for tender, from this point to around 205? internal it should be finished.
Let us know how it is going, someone will be around.
Jim

Gary,

To Jim's excellent advice, I would add: Don't be afraid of getting the brisket done early. In fact, I would plan on getting it done early. Then, wrap it in foil and then in an old bath towel, and put it into a cooler. It will stay piping hot for a couple of hours. Getting it done early takes the pressure off and is always better than starving your guests.

Best of luck,
Steve

I cooked my second brisket last weekend. Ordered from the butcher. I could only get a 5.6 pounder (trimmed, argh). Must have small cows around here. Had to pay 3.29/pound, too.

Let my son apply the rub and mop. We mopped a bit more frequently due to the small remaining fat cap.

My 10 pounds of Kingsford didn't quite last for the entire cook, so I had to wrap in foil and finish on the gas grill. (At least it's a Weber)

It finished a couple hours before we got around to eating it. We wrapped it in towels and threw it into a cooler. Even though we "cheated", the meat was delicious. Turned out to be a wonderful birthday dinner for my son.

Good luck,
Darren

Darren
Unless your in a competition and it is illeagal to use gas, you did nothing illegal. You had a success and knew enough to to make it success.
There is no rule that says you can't add charcoal once the orginal load is burned up, it is not a badge of shame. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Looking forward to meeting you in April if you are going to be at Paul Kirk's class.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back