Brisket for 140 people

I'm providing brisket for the ski team summer picnic and swap; it is a potluck with everyone else bringing chips, salads and desserts. We will be serving on buns; and there will also be 6 dozen hot dogs to keep the younger kids happy.

I know there is a basic formula out there for this, but can't seem to find it. I do have a stacker, I can cook on three levels. I'm thinking I will cook three briskets back to back for 6 total (so 60 to 70 lbs pre-cooked weight).

Any advice?

Bill

Figure approximately 4oz per sandwich. 70lbs of brisket flats will give you a finished yield of approximately 35lbs, (50%). That gives you exactly 140 - 4oz sandwiches, which since you're having hot dogs as well should be more than enough.

You can squeeze two briskets per rack if you want/need too. I do 4-7lb flats on the top grate with a ring extender to add another grate. You can do something similar since you have the stacker without doing so many separate cooks.

Larry you are a show off with that rack of yours! I like it and need to construck something like that.

The first mod I'm going to do is get another rack for the coals. Basically double it up on a criss cross pattern. This way they do not fall to the bottom!

Good luck with your cook William!

Larry:

Thanks for the advice, but lets say I've got all 7 lb flats, I still don't see how I can get 10 flats in even with the stacker.

Just thinking about this, I wonder if I could take a couple rib racks and cut out a few of the uprights to try and get three flats on each grate . . . hmmmm.

Bill

Originally posted by William Schmitz:
Larry:

Thanks for the advice, but lets say I've got all 7 lb flats, I still don't see how I can get 10 flats in even with the stacker.

Just thinking about this, I wonder if I could take a couple rib racks and cut out a few of the uprights to try and get three flats on each grate . . . hmmmm.

Bill

10 flats at once would definitely be extreme! But you could certainly do 5 at once and do 2 cooks as planned.... I've heard of people doing briskets in rib racks, but have never done it, so can't provide any input on that method. If you do that, PLEASE take pic's!!! With the number of briskets you are cooking I think you will definitely have to do 2 cooks or buy another WSM.

To cut down on your time and fuel usage, I would cook the briskets to 165º, foil and finish in the oven. So when you foil, you can just have the other briskets ready and plop them on the cooker. Then when they are done, the ones in the oven should be ready to rest and can be replaced with the ones coming off the cooker.

Maybe you need one of these?

[just kidding]

DSCF0042.jpg

bigpit-1.jpg

[/just kidding]
icon_razz.gif

Great idea, Greg! But, short of that, does Weber sell parts like the charcoal ring as replacement items? That might make a good stacker for putting another rack on, eh?

10 flats at once would definitely be extreme! But you could certainly do 5 at once and do 2 cooks as planned.... I've heard of people doing briskets in rib racks, but have never done it, so can't provide any input on that method. If you do that, PLEASE take pic's!!! With the number of briskets you are cooking I think you will definitely have to do 2 cooks or buy another WSM.

To cut down on your time and fuel usage, I would cook the briskets to 165º, foil and finish in the oven. So when you foil, you can just have the other briskets ready and plop them on the cooker. Then when they are done, the ones in the oven should be ready to rest and can be replaced with the ones coming off the cooker.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so here's the update. Turns out we were over 200 people (and there was a question whether we might be at 225 by the time all was said and done). So I went to Sam's and picked up 95 pounds of brisket - seven in total. I then did two consecutive cooks, using my stacker. I put the first three on, including one 16 lb monster, and smoked them at 350 until we were in the 160 degree range. I then foiled those and transferred them to the oven to finish. The other four briskets went on next, with the two smallest ones being propped up sideways on the top rack, with a beer can chicken holder in between them to keep them kind of separated.

All in all it went really well and I got tons of compliments from the group. The one thing I noticed is that the stacker, means you definitely need lots more fire and go through fuel much quicker. I'm sure its a combo of more total volume and more cold meat acting as a heat sink, but I was surprised how it affected the fire, and extended the cooking times a bit. I'm used to 2.5 hours to get a brisket up to temp for wrapping, and this was more like 3.5 hours, and could have gone a little longer if I hadn't been worried about timing.

Larry: I would love to post pictures, but I can't figure it out . . . even though it says I have permission to do so, there is no "photo album" link under the new tab . . sorry.

Bill

Back