Brisket Flat

Matt Miller

I have decided to do a 5lb brisket flat for two of us tommorrow. However, I have never cooked just a flat. Does anyone know if the cook time is just as long per lb as the flat & point, or should it take a shorter amount of time for just the flat?
Matt

Most will agree every piece of meat is different, so time can only be estimated in any case. All other things being equal, however, I doubt a 5-pound flat not attached to a point will reach doneness any faster than one that is.

Small "brisquitoes" usually take less. Of course it depends on the amount of marbleing. Remember to go by feel and not by the temp reading. When it's done, it's done. I let it rest in foil. Don't be afraid to add a little low salt beef stock, or apple juice if you think it needs it.

Good luck!

it sort of depends on your temperature. I've had some take longer per pound and some shorter per pound. Flats, for me, seem to be more exposed to cooking temps - a little lower and it seems to take a lot longer - a little higher and it takes a lot longer. Much more of a difference than with the same temperature differences with a packer.

If you are going cook at at around 225, I'd plan on about the same amount of time per pound as a full brisket.

I cooked one recently that was 7 pounds. I cooked it at 275-ish. It took under 5 hours - total. Super short. So, who knows...

personally i'd still leave 2 hrs per lb. as doug said, flats don't seem to take any less than the whole packers. make sense since points usually reach temp faster than the flat it's attached too.

Thanks everyone. I'm starting at 6:00am, going to brunch at 10:30am, and thinking it should really be done at the latest at 5:00pm. I'll let yall know.
Matt

I cook nothing but flats. I usually cook them in the 235 range and figure on 1 - 1.5 hrs per lb.
icon_smile.gif

The flat (6.25 pounds)I did 2 weeks ago took 10.5 hours. The WSM temp was pretty well pegged between 240 & 245 degrees.

The outside temp for most of the cook was between 30 - 35 degrees with some rain. I used the guru with smoking jacket.

I would say your total time will depend on the outside temp and wind. If its going to be chilly or cold.. block that wind.

I just put my 7lb flat on at 7:30am the pit is at 235. I will post pictures and times. Dont forget to keep a log.

Rick
The Smoke Hunters BBQ

5lb, 9 hours, 250 degrees. My first flat only, and turned out great. Marinated brisket for 12 hours in a beer, worchester, garlic, and ginger. A homemade rub of seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Brisket, pinto beans, and a balsamic slaw. It was a steady 35 degrees all day here and not a lot of wind. Thanks for help and suggestions everyone.

Back