Brisket FLAT quandry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have my second brisket, a 6.3-pound FLAT that I’ll be cooking in a day or two. I’m thinking of doing it as per the Smoked, Foiled, & WSM- (or Oven-) Finished method as described in the cooking section.

The first flat I made was a little on the dry side, due in part to a thermometer being off so my pit temps were probably considerably below my target temp of 225°F.

Also, I’d Worcestershired and rubbed the flat the night before cooking and was a little surprised at how much liquid came out of the meat overnight, possibly another reason for the meat being a little dry. Next time I’ll put the rub on shortly before putting the meat on the WSM.

I foiled the meat after it had plateau’d at 155°F for one hour and put it back on the (what I thought was) 225°F WSM.

I pulled the flat off when an instant-read thermometer read 181°F in some places, 195°F in others, foiled it, and let it rest in a 150°F oven for 1 hour. It sliced nice enough, but as I said, it was a little dry.

The method in Chris’s site’s cooking section calls for foiling the 10-12-pound packer cut when the meat reaches 165°F, increasing the WSM temp to 300°F, and finishing to a meat temp of 205°F. Since I’m using a 6.3-pound flat instead of a whole packer cut, should I make any adjustments to the internal temperatures for foiling and finishing the meat?

Would it be better to leave my WSM at 225 or will the 300°F finishing temperature make for a moister final product? Time won’t be an issue for this cook.

Also, I’m looking for nice moist, tender slices but not pull-apart consistency. Considering that the meat is foiled, should I be pulling the meat off at, say, 180, 185, or 200°F rather than at 205°F?
icon_confused.gif

Rita

Hi, Rita,

Well, if you want a juicy flat, why not try smoking it in a foil pan? The thing will end up sitting up to its eyeballs in juice, so I think it would have a hard time drying out.

I like to slice my brisket, so I generally pull mine off in the 180s---just as soon as it's really easy to slide a probe in, say.

Since you have the time, my vote would be to foil at 170, add some beef broth, and leave it in the WSM at around 225 on top grate till you reach the 205 internal temp. With the flat it probably won't be too long.

Good luck.

Paul

Just did a flat about the same weight. Applied rub about an hour before going on the smoker. Kept my temps around 210-220* for the cook. At the 15 hour mark the internal temp was around 174*. Pulled the meat, sprayed it with apple juice and wrapped it in double-layer of foil. Placed it in a 300* oven for just over an hour and pulled when the internal temp hit 205*. Let it rest on the counter for about 45 minutes. When I removed it from the foil and sliced it was extremely moist and tender.

I have to say this was my first time foiling a brisket. After the fantastic results I'll continue to do so from now on. Good luck!

Rita is it great to see that you are around again! I have made the brisket finishing it in the oven and it came out great at 205 degrees internal. That being said, all briskets are not the same. I would poke it starting at 180 and if it goes in easily then take it out of the oven foil it for an hour or so. If it doesnt go in easily then go to 185, 190 and so on until it goes in easily. Let us know how the brisket comes out.

Rita
Foil at 180 to 185, double foil and then place in a small dry cooler(heat cooler with hot water before hand). Let it set for 2 to 4 hours, it will be tender but not pot roast texure. If your looking beef roast texture I would consider cooking sirloin tip roast.
Jim

Thanks everyone for all the good feedback.

Looks as if I’ll have to do the brisket early this week - the forecast is that Ivan will be sending heavy rains and strong winds here about Thursday if it continues on its present course. I hope all you Florida folks don't have to go through another bad storm.

Jeff, thanks. I feel as if I’m starting over from scratch, but it’s good to be back into the fun stuff again.

Jim, nice hearing from you, and you’re right. I’d rather not go for a pot roast consistency this time around, so I’ll wait to foil the meat until I take it off the pit. On that first flat, I rubbed the flat the night before and lost quite a bit of juice even before I put the meat in the pit, so I’m not going to do that again. You recommend a longer rest period than I had the first time, so I’ll be sure to get an early start. The suspense is gonna kill me, tho!
icon_smile.gif

Was that 150°F oven I used for the rest period too warm, even though it was below the meat temperature?

Also, I’m glad you mentioned about the sirloin tip because I’ve been wanting to make a roast that wasn’t quite so much a special occasion meal as a standing rib is.

Thanks to all,
Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back