Brisket Flat: Pot Roast to Shoe Leather

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
The first flat was cooked to 165 and foiled, then taken up to 202. I thought it was great but in reality it tended to 'smoked pot roast'. The last flat was over trimmed. Never foiled until it came off 16 hours later at 195. Temps ranged from 200-228 and averaged about 210. Frankly, it is too tough. Somewhere in the middle is the answer. Butts are simple compared to these guys.

True.

I sometimes foil, sometimes don't, depending on what I have planned for sauces. I don't use much liquid if I foil and only do so after in breaks the first plateau to avoid pot roast-y meat but I find a fork test essential to determine time to pull. For me, it's usually 188-190 or thereabouts. Sometimes higher though, depending on the cut.

I think the rule-of-thumb with briskets is 1 hr per lb; I've never used an internal thermometer when doing them, and have never gone wrong using this rule.

Kevin, I believe pulling at a lower internal temp would have helped.

James, I am not quite sure how to get a 4lb. flat done in 4 hours. Are you referring to only whole briakets?

I recently did a 8.5 lb whole brisket...went on at 9pm...off at 2pm (yes, 17hrs) and temp was still at 193...so I foiled and put in 300F oven until 205...removed and put in cooler with towels for 3 hrs...it was so tender the slices would not stay together. Everyone loved it.

I did marinate it for 8 hrs prior to smoking.

Back