Brisket -- Fat side up or down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
That's the question.
Most people have told me to put it on fat side up. But now I'm reading that it should be smoked fat side down.

Many have come to the consensus that fat side down works better than fat side up. The fat cap provides a barrier between the rising heat and the meat. Also, the meat sort of simmers in a fat bath. I do all of mine fat down and usually with a couple of butts above to baste the top side.

Fat side down...

I'm bettin' you'll end up getting a 50-50 response on this one.

I think Fat side down is more important on one of those big pit smokers which would be a dryer environment than the WSM, but when Jim Minion says, "Think Fat Side Down", I'm listening...

Just my $.02

As Tom alluded to, I cook on a big offset pit. Like he said it may not be as critical on the WSM as it is for me.

Very interesting topic. If doing brisket alone I was led to believe fat side up til you fliped it. Now if doing butts over it, then fat side down.

Rath *not a brisket expert*

I'm also no expert, having all of one whole brisket to my credit, but I cooked it fat side up and it turned out fantastic.

If you are doing the brisket by itself I would lay some bacon over the top and cook it fat side down.

If you are doing it with pork butts, then do as Rath says...butts on top and brisket on the bottom...the fat from the butts will baste the briskets!

Like Tom said you are going to get a 50-50 answer on this question. So here's how to do the 50-50. Some people put the meat fat side up for the first half of the cook and then flip it fat side down for the second half of the cook. Definitely do fat side down second to protect it from drying out.

The 25-30 that i've done i did fat side up. But i'm going to try Bill Canon's method with the fat side down on the next one. Never had a dry or bad one with the fat side up though. Bryan

Those using sand in the pan cooking brisket on the bottom grate should consider fat-side down.

Excellent point Doug.
icon_wink.gif
I second that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back