Brisket done way too early!

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
Ok Folks...I couldnt find the answer I was looking for by searching here.

My Maverick actually woke me up at 6am...I figured the WSM temp had shot up, NOPE, the brisket was done at 195! This never happens to me...12 lb brisket in 10 hrs! (240-250F WSM)

SO, I have a Brisket done at 6am for a 5pm dinner party. It is double wrapped in foil, packing quilt, in cooler, in 80F garage!

I doubt I can hold it until 4:30pm to slice. Assuming the temp drops under 150F and I have to refrigerate it whole.

What is best way to reheat? 250F oven with some beef stock in the foil? Keep it foiled?

Argh
thx

I would keep it in the foil in a cooler for a couple of hours like you would have done had it finished on your time table rather than its own
icon_smile.gif
. Then rewrap it tightly in foil so that no air gets to it and refrigerate till an hour or so before your event. Then reheat in the oven as you described.

Paul

Well, the brisket was good....MAYBE a tad dry. It was more moist at 6am then my reheated brisket was.

I started to reheat the entire brisket as described above with a thermometer in it....with the oven at 250F, the brisket went from 75F to 85F in 30 mins! Well, I only had 30 more mins, so I had to turn up the oven to 300. I ended up pulling the brisket at 130...figuring that was warm enough (since it was already done).

Not the best reheat experience and frustrating.

Brisket reheats are a bit of a crapshoot sometimes.

If faced with the situation again try this. When you put the meat in the foil on the rack to cool check for liquid after 5-10 min. If there is some, good. If not, add some stock or the stock/butter mix to the foil at that point. Remember to cool fat up on the counter then flip again when it goes into the fridge. It seems counterintuitive to go to 145-150 but you're looking to just hit the spot where components re-gelatinize. The stock/butter mix (unsalted butter is optional but I recommend it for mouthfeel and a little flavor) will help even out some of the potential variances in texture.

Back