Brisket = Corn Beef

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I can't find a Brisket. I have found a cryo vac package in the local grocery store labeled Corn Beef. It has a small package of what looks like's seeds. Kind of pricey 14.00 I think. Is that a brisket?
Thanks

Thanks Allan
I sure glad I asked before spending that kind of money. I can't wait to try one. Must not be popular in this area.

If you smoked it, it would be pastrami. There are better, cheaper ways to do pastrami on your WSM. If you like pastrami, check out the article in the Cooking section of the website-- I make it all the time. Great for sandwiches and just as a snack. I got a Certified Angus flat in cryo today for $2.49/lb. It will be pastrami by Sunday.

It may not be brisket (in the pure sense of the word), but it is and can be BBQ. My buddy Gary Wivott introduced me to smoked corned beef at his annual St Paddy Day feast. It was awesome.

This past summer, I smoked 4 corned briskets for a friends wedding. I also smoked three "regular" briskets. All were flats for those keeping notes.

For the corned beef, I soaked in water overnight, changing the water as often as I remembered. Probably 4 times or so.

I pasted the meat with mustard, sprinkled some rib ranger rub and also sprinkled those seeds that come in the package.

On the WSM, I smoked for about 8 hours at 225 degrees, basting with apple juice every couple hours. I wrapped in foil and held in fridge until reception the following day.

That morning, I placed the wrapped corned beef in a 350 oven for one hour, then wrapped in towels and took to the reception. I sliced just before serving.

The corned beef was gone in half the time of the regular briskets--and all was gone in about 60 minutes. 50 folks ate up about 45 pounds of meat (I had some smoked turkey, too)

Not as fancy a recipe as others I have seen, but you ought to try it. Just be sure to soak in fresh water for a spell to remove excess salt.

Dale

Thanks Dale,
I asked a simple queston and got great feedback. This is a great site. I looked into this site after buying a Brinkman for my nephew. I wanted to give him time and temps for somthing like a WSM. I have a Cookshack, don't dish me for this. I found that the guy that runs that to a moron.
Thanks for the post. I will watch often.

Tom,
My little brother has two cookshacks that he uses for his catering business in Alaska and they work real well for him. I've cooked on them and found them to be pretty good for making BBQ in volume.

Sorry you have not had good experience with the company--my brother is very happy with them.

Dale

I've been thinking about doing a "corned beef briskit" this weekend. Have already decided that it would need to be soaked in water for hours prior to smoking. I plan on changing the water as often as possible and using a rub of packaged spiced cider as the finishing agent. Then again, pastrami sounds pretty good too!
I love this site! I'm sooooo confused. Where do I start?
Keep it coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back