Brisket Cooking Too Fast

Mike N

TVWBB Member
I started a smoke at 7:00 PM CDT this evening. I have 2 briskets and 2 butts on. I have modified my WSM to include 3 racks. My ET73 smoker probe is on the middle rack (just below the cover line) and using the minion method have kept the temp b/w 225 and 240. The problem is that the meat is already up to 172. I verified this with a thermometer thru the access door. What's going on? I've only had it down 3 hours.

Help and guidance is apprectiated.

-Mike

Ok. As of 11:15 CDT the brisket is down to 164 (went down to 162 and no climbing back) and the butt is at 166. The probe is in a brisket that is just over 10 lbs. Both butts were about 8 lbs. I started with water in the pan and recently have saw almost a complete reduction. I added cold water. Smoker currently holding at 236.

-Mike

Update. I just got up at 6:00 AM CDT. Was woken up once at 3:00 by the ET73 as the WSM got down to 205. This morning, I stirred the coals and added about 15 cold briquettes. Smoker temp is now about 240.

Both brisket and butt are still holding at 170. I anticipated the plateau, but I wasn't expecting the meat to get up to the 160-170 range within 3 hours! That said, things look to be right on track.

-Mike

Back