brisket cooking time

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi. I'm cooking two beef briskets for the first time. It seems like there is a lot of difference of opinion regarding the cooking times. I have two briskets, one at 4 lbs and one 4 and half lbs. Any cooking time tips? I'm planning on using the Smoke and Spice recipe for Dallas Dandy Brisket. Thanks.

I find that it's best to go by temp rather then time on a brisket. Briskets can vary widely based on the amount of fat they contain. I've had biskets that cooked in less then an hour per pound and others that took more then 1 1/2 hours per pound. If you have a probe thermo then cook them to between 185 and 195 measured in the flat. However, you'll get different opinions on that as well.

Wayne, I echo what Jim says. I've never had any two cook alike. I pull them at internal temp of 190. I like the texture I get at that temp. Just foil it and let it rest when pulled. Let us know how they turn out.

Rule of thumb is 1 1/2 hour per pound on brisket but that rule does not work as well on flats that small. It could take longer cause connective tissue needs time to break down and 6 hours is on the low side to get that done.
The use of foil could speed up the process, foil once they reach 160 to 165? internal. The internal will climb quickly in foil so keep an eye on them.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back