Brisket: Choice or not Choice. That's the question.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Fellow Meat Heads,

Many are aware that the USDA beef grades: "choice," "select," or the (rarely seen, highest) "prime" have to do with the amount of wispy strands of white fat running through the uncooked cut in question.

USDA grade ranking, from highest to lowest (prime, choice, select) generally reflect what the steers ate before slaughter. Steers grazing primarily on grass before slaughter are lean: "select." Those that ate a fattier, more expensive, corn or other premium fat-producing grain are more typically graded "choice." And then there are the USDA "prime" cattle, who dine exclusively on french toast, butter, with warm maple syrup (just kidding, you get my point).

Go see the prolific "marbelling" in the rare place that sells prime beef in your area.

But should we care about the USDA grading of a piece of chuck, brisket or other tough meat? A tough cut cooked for long periods (to relatively high temperatures) will render so much of that wispy marbelling right into the water pan, well done.

A prime filet mignon is wasted well done. So is a good tri-tip, as the marbelled fat is similarly rendered out.

I believe what makes a (formerly regarded as junk-meat) brisket so wonderfull is all the "soup bone" liquid collagen stuff rendered INTO THE MEAT during a long cook, together with some WELL-TRIMMED THICK but tender strands of fat (as opposed wispy strands of "marbelling").

Given this, for our slow-smoked purposes is a "Choice," very-well cooked brisket any better than a "Select" one costing a fraction of the price? Are we wasting our money on "Choice" brisket?

Dave

Nah, don't waste your money on "choice briskets" Cattle are graded by the whole carcass, not the individual cuts. Regardless, brisket is brisket in my book. I just make sure I don't get too large a brisket (bigger brisket = older, tougher cow). Now I'm talking untrimmed packer here, not a trimmed flat or something.Trimmed flats dry out real easy. I have also heard their is such a thing as prime brisket (urban legend?) and it isn't any better than any other brisket.

So how big is too big? Im talking in the way of untrimmed packer cuts. I have a slaughter house down the road from work and am gonna get some brisket there but dont know what size piece to get. For now it will be my wife and I, with some leftovers...

I dont dare ask for a brisket from the left side...he would think Im nuts.

Prime brisket is no urban legend. I will not recite the rules about grading meats, as Stogie is much more versed in those intracacies.

However, I used prime brisket, purchased through an honest-to-goodness butcher for competition last year. Here are the differences I found:

1. A whole lot more fat in and on the meat.
2. Cooked about 30% faster
3. Was generally juicier (I attribute to the fat marbling being more pronounced in the meat, allowing basting with the rendered fat deeper into the meat.
4. Tasted better--fat tastes better, more fat, I think means more flavor.

Second however---not sure if it makes that big of a difference in competition cooking. Was told by a BBQ old-timer that prime, aged brisket has a unique flavor that most of us commoner folks do not recognize and may mistake for approaching "spoiled". Not sure if this is true, but the taste is different.

I paid about $5/lb for prime brisket. Will I do it again? Yes, not for competition but for personal consumption. I am reasonably convinced the flavor difference I mentioned above is not a plus with the judges. But I like it.

Dale

Jim

How big is too big?

I'd say 11lbs. is about the largest I would buy, maybe 12lbs, but that is pushing it. Anything bigger than that would take too long/probably end up tough anyway. That's been my expierience anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back