Brisket Burger help needed

D Petrman

TVWBB Member
I ground up some brisket yesterday and made a brisket burger. The flavor was great but I had an awful lot of problems keeping the burger together....it got crumbly?? Did i do something wrong with the grind?? (I ground it twice) I am trying to handle the meat as little as possible....do i need a press? I am a tad confused.

Thanks for the help...u guys rock!!!

Well i never mix anything with the meat but spices when i do burgers.

keep your hands wet with water might help to form them and a bit of oil when you grill them.

Thats how i do them.

(spell)

Thanks for the help....tried the water and it worked better than before but my burger still totally split on the turn...and i did oil the grate. I will try the egg next time round and see how that goes...thanks again!!!

Yea i have never tryed minced brisket myself but what i do works well with the meat i use.

Is brisket that low in fat? or why does it crumble/split?

Egg is a great binder if you need it.

Make sure the fat content is substantial. Make sure the grinder components are very cold. When cooking loosely made patties the grate and cooktemp must be quite hot. Oil very well. An egg should not be necessary (a bit too meatloaf-y for me).

W- some people try to handle the meat as little as possible (not me), that might be the problem.

If you're mixing in egg then you're handling the meat. Mix it more by hand.

It's hard for me to believe that brisket is too low fat, but I suppose the OP is not grinding an entire packer.

Most brisket flats are pretty lean,unless you run in to a choice grade that may have been good enough to grade prime.That is why if you only ground the flat part,it may well have been beyond 90%lean,I find a 85/15 fat to lean ratio works well for me.....when it gets too lean i have the falling apart problem as well.Richard

Add some salt and give the meat a spin for one minute in a mixer. Makes the meat sticky. It helps keeping the meat together. Try it. It works. If you don't have a mixer, use a large bowl and a large plastic spoon, and try to pretent it as an exercise. You can feel and see when the meat becomes sticky. Cold is nice as well.

I use this method when I make Moose burgers. Moose meat is almost totally fat free. No problems with binding the meat.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....i did mix it a bit with some salt and that sure did the trick as well as making sure the grill was well heated and oiled. They turned like champs and didn't fall apart like the others were doing.

As far as fat....i was working with the point so it was plenty fatty...i had ground the flat before and it was lean but i never had the falling apart problem with it. That is why i was buffallowed.......couldn't figure out what i did different except for a little more fat content.......Thanks again all!!!

Back