Brisket-BRITU question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've decided that for my first party with the WSM on Sunday, I'll do only one item in the WSM (or two of the same thing) instead of brisket and ribs. I was going crazy trying to figure out the best way to handle the timing difference, etc., and also putting all my barbecue in one unfamiliar basket didn't seem wise. So I'll do either brisket or BRITU in the WSM and a side of salmon smoke-roasted in a Weber kettle (I've done that many times).

My questions are:

1. Which would be the safest choice for a WSM newbie, brisket or BRITU, or are they both about the same on that score?

2. For BRITU, does "everyone" recommend the foil modification to the method described in the "Foil those Baby-Backs!!!!" message thread?

Mick R,

IMO, there is no way I would have tried brisket on my first cook. I did ribs, used the BRITU recipe and they turned out great. For a first cook, too many variables with brisket, time, fat cap.no fat cap, flat vs. point, etc. etc. Leave that brisket for when you are all alone and are feeling adventurous and want to see if you can really cook one. GOOD LUCK!

p.s. First cook...yes use the foil method.

I have taken 1st in ribs at least 5 times over the last few years without using foil, I have used foil the last few cooks and I will say that I like the results. Foil is not needed to cook great ribs but if you don't have a lot of cooks under your belt foil will be your best bet for success. I will use foil again because the margin for errors is smaller.
Jim

Hey Jim,

Well I'm glad that I seem to be on the same track as you, but...I really don't like using foil, but my wife just loves her ribs at the falling off the bone stage, I prefer them coming off the bone with that first bite with a slight tug. I am cautious when using foil, if you aren't
careful they will steam and seem like mushy meat.(IMO) Any comments?

Bruce
Foil can be used to get the texture you want.
The foil method I'm using is 2 hour bone side down, 1 hour bone side up. At that point take foil and drizzle some honey on the foil add some brown sugar and place the ribs face down in the honey/brown sugar repeat the same thing on the bone side, add a little apple juice and wrap tight. Smoke in foil for 2 hours remove from foil and test for texture, glaze and continue to smoke till desidered texture is reached. Still takes about 6 hours on average for spares.
Jim

Jim, I'm sold.

I have to try that foil technique. Never thought about honey/ brown sugar.

Thanks!
Pork Eat World
Sonny
----------------------
You wouldn't have gotten into trouble if you hadn't been there. Grandad

Jim,

I have never imagined a foil method that I thought would work. I wish the one you briefly describe was fully expanded and added to the cooking section as a full recipe. The procedure sounds good.

JIm,

Regarding your foil technique on bone side and meat side, what about if you are cooking the ribs in a rack?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barry:
[qb] JIm,

Regarding your foil technique on bone side and meat side, what about if you are cooking the ribs in a rack? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I may be wrong. But I dont think it would matter then. As both sides of the ribs should be getting pretty close to even heat right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back