Brisket and dropping temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

I started smoking a 5lb brisket at 8am this morning. Since 11am the temp of the meat has dropped from 165 to 159. Is this normal? I have kept the smoker temp between 220 and 250. Right now it is at 246.

Thanks

Yep, that's cuz the "magic" is happening! The fat is being rendered, which consumes heat energy. This is the BEST part of the smoke, and will ensure you have a nice, tender brisket. Yer doin' fine.

Thanks Susan. Thought it was just wanted to make sure. BTW, what does your latin signature mean?

Mine? Well, keep in mind that I'm just a beginner myself, but I've done briskets starting with my first cook and had (knock on wood) great luck with them thus far.

My first brisket was a 8.5 lbs or so, and I trimmed ALOT of the fat off (so it was 1/2 inch thick all around.) Since then, my family has BEGGED me not to trim the fat because it's their favorite part! So now I don't do it at all. Plus...lately I've run into small flats with hardly enuff fat on them as is. So sometimes, if I'm doing butts, I'll trim some of that fat and lay it on top of the brisket for the first half of the cook.

I use a dry rub, either the one in the cooking section here under 'overnight brisket' or lately I've used the texasbbqrub.com rubs---both #1 but more recently #2. They're both quite tasty! I rub 'em either right before they go on, or an hour or two in advance, or one time I think I did it overnight. I haven't noticed a remarkable difference either way, so I try to do the 1 hour thing.

Then I slap 'em on there, fat side up---ideally on the bottom grate, with butts above to lend in the basting process. At the halfway points, I spray 'em with apple juice, and flip 'em.

I cook 'em slow, like between 200 and 250---ideally in the 230's. Then they take a million hours longer than I expect. Or sometimes I fall asleep with the maverick beside me but forget to turn on the alarm, so when I wake up my temps have soard to 275 and the brisket is in the high 160's or even 170's after a mere 4 or 5 hours. Then I panic and dial it back to the 220s and somehow the meat cools off and hits a nice 160's plateau for hour and hours and turns out alright.

I don't take my briskets to the high temps the other folks on the board do. I've pulled 'em off in the 160's and in the 170's and in the 180's. If they feel tender when I insert my thermopen, out they come. My family likes 'em sliced anyhow, rather than shredded. One time I had to foil a brisket (after I was going on 30 hours and the thing was NOT coming out of the plateau) but fell asleep (once again forgetting to put the maverick alarm on) and when I woke up the brisket and butts were in the 220's! But that damn things STILL were good and moist.

So...in other words, I just stumble bass ackwards around in my cooks and it somehow works out ok. The BBQ gods have been uncommonly kind to this lowly initiate.

Thank you.
What is your normal end time? What is the longest you have held 160* and were happy with the results? As you know from my post in the comp section I am looking to improve my brisket a whole lot. I am open to all advise. How long do you rest it?

Oh, right, the resting process. After I pull it, it gets foiled and goes into the cooler with the towels in it, and with its friend the butts for AT LEAST a half hour, but very often for a longer time.

I don't have a normal end time---that's for you pro's, but lately my cooks that I *think* will take say 10 hours seem to go happily for 20 hours...plus! I've had plateaus that last for 6 hours or more. I guess I'm a mess, lol!

No pros here.... just a man who REALLY LOVES GOOD Q. Like you I am simply striving to produce the best Q I can. I take info and sorta bend it to my needs. What I love best about good Q is there is no right or wrong, just different expressions of good from the folks here.

Here is an update on my brisket. It was fantastic. I had to finish it off in the oven (about another 1 1/2 hours) or my guests would have killed me. Instead they were praising the brisket. It came out tender and juicy - perfection in my book!!!

Great! You can thank the long plateau for that tenderness. I've found oven finishes to be just fine, too, when necessary. Thank goodness, or I'd be in a heap of trouble myself from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back