Brisket and butts on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
Good morning!

I put a 6# flat on under two ~7# buts this AM. Meat went on a 5:30AM. WSM chugging on at 220-225. I have a Maverick therm. in the brisket and monitoring the bottom rack with the maverick. I haven't had confidence enough in the Maverick to do an overnighter.

My maverick is reading 125 for the brisket. This doesn't seem right since the meat only sat out of the frig only for 1hr before it went on.

How can the temp on the brisket be so high so fast?

Mike

Mike, It's kind tricky to get the probe directly in the the middle of the flat hence the false reading. Try putting it in on an angle or insert it long ways(go in from the side instead of the top) I put mine in from the top on an angle. Just a thought Bryan

Mike

I think brisket flats can be a little unpredictable because of their thinness. Since you're doing a daytime cook, you should be able to keep up with it. You will disrupt things quite a bit when you reposition your therm on the brisket since it's on the bottom. I would wait a while, say 6 hrs into the cook and then be set up to remove both the top and bottom cooking grates and replace the lid. Then reposition your therm in the brisket going in from the side, laterally so the tip is toward the center. If it measured 170, I'de do the foil and beef broth thing, but that's up to you.

If you're using water, keep the pan full and the bottom of the brisket should be ok. The "ole' reliable butt" will do just fine; however if you want it to finish close to the brisket, you'll need to foil it. You may be close to 14 hrs on the butt.

Good luck and I hope you eat well tonite.

Paul

I just took the top off and put another probe in and we are at about 150 now and only three ours in. I will foil because I am now worried about all of the probe haoles letting to much juice run. This is new a brisket that cooks too fast, but it is thin.

Maybe I'll eat it for lunch:-)

Mike

Mike, i've had thin flats finish in as lille as 5-5.5 hrs. Did a really thick flat last weekend that took 9.5 hrs. No 2 are ever the same. Things will slow down a bit in the 160-170 plateau. Sorry i forgot, Good Morning to you too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I will foil because I am now worried about all of the probe haoles letting to much juice run. Mike <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll defer to any experts, but I don't this should be a concern. It's not like the brisket is a sac and all it's juices will run out of a hole. When the probe goes in, it only breaks the cells in its path. Other than the juices around the puncture, I doubt this will let anything else out. Anyone else have a thought?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
It's not like the brisket is a sac and all it's juices will run out of a hole. When the probe goes in, it only breaks the cells in its path. Other than the juices around the puncture... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aptly put.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
It's not like the brisket is a sac and all it's juices will run out of a hole. When the probe goes in, it only breaks the cells in its path. Other than the juices around the puncture, I doubt this will let anything else out. Anyone else have a thought? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are quite right!.. The brisket temps went into a long plateau and it stayed on for 10 hours I took it off when the temp got to 185. It was extremely moist. My best brisket yet.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back