Brisket and Butts are on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Evans

TVWBB Member
I'm doing a 12 lb brisket and 2 8lb butts right now for a party tomorrow. I'm using B&B Lump w/Minion method and water in the Pan. I soaked the brisket in a wine/worchester misx I got off this site (did it last week and it was awesome) and rub iut down with the #2 rub from the Texas BBQ. The butts are slathered in Mustard and then a basic BBQ rub that I use.

It took 20 hours last time I did this so it should work out jsut right for tomorrow.

Jim

Can't wait until tomorrow.

Jim, just got my 2-6lb butts and 2-5lb briskets from the butcher. Rubbing them down and throwing them on within the next 2 hours. Good luck!

Jim, let us know how you like the #2 rub? Can't wait for mine to come along with the gloves. Burn't my fingers last night pulling the pork. No pain no gain.

Quick update:

7:45pm and things are still going.

Butts are sitting about 185 and the brisket at an even 180.

I just moved the brisket to the top rake, butts to the bottom, flipped and sprayed.

The ET-73 continues to do it's job. Got a low temp alert about 3am, so I gentle stirred the coals and went back to bed. WSM is still hanging around 225.

More to follow.

Jim

Now that I have gotten everything cleaned up i have some time to update.

I did finish the brisket in the oven for a about 1.5 hours today, i know it's cheating but the deck was getting crowded. Total of 21 hours of cook time.

I guess everything was good because everyone took a doggy bag with them.

The butts were sooooo tender and falling off the bones. The brisket was awesome. I used the #2 rub from the Texas BBQ site and it was very good.

I used mostly pecan wood with a little hickory so I got a very gentle smoke flavor unlike the last time when I used strictly hickory.

One thing I noticed this time was that I had little clumps of burnt stuff that I can only catogrize as looking like lemon merangue....Really weard. Any one else every see this???

The B&B lump burned a long time. I did add some more lump around the 12 hour mark just to keep me from having to do it later. It allowed me a little more peace of miind and some more sleep.

Jim

Sounds good Jim, I love that #2 rub. What was that
marinade you mentioned it sounds good and I would like to try it, if you could let me know how to concoct (Did a search, could not find it) I would be eternally gratefull.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back