Brisket and Baby Backs

Brad Marsh

TVWBB Member
Going to smoke a smaller brisket (8.09) and a rack of ribs (2.41) for dinner tomorrow. Using mix of hickory and mesquite chunks with Kingsford using MM. I've previously cooked one brisket, one flat and one rack of spareribs. The flat came out the best and most flavorful (probably had something to do with the pound of bacon i put on it to keep it moist. Only downside was lack of bark.

I've had great luck (knock on wood) getting my temps right in the 225-250 range and not needing to mess with the vents much to keep temp stable. WSM's are amazing

My questions:

1. Which should go on bottom grate? I'm guessing the brisket since I'll need to add/turn and baste the ribs after the brisket's on the smoker.

2. Should I cut the point off the brisket and just cook the flat? Fat up or down?

Both the ribs and brisket are going in to the fridge tonight with a genrous rub on them.

Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like for everything to be ready by about 5pm tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a smokin' weekend.

Howdy Brad--

1. Since the brisket will take longer you could start it on top, then move it to the lower grate when you add the ribs. I never turn or baste ribs myself but if that's your approach for this cook figure on adding a little time to the brisket since you'll be losing heat when you add the ribs and at each turn.

2. Leave it whole for best results, imo. Fat down. When you're resting it--fat up.

3. Enjoy your cook and have a grat dinner.

Brad

I think I would actually go with the brisket on the bottom. When you add the ribs later, you'll have the lid off for a shorter period of time. If you're using a digital probe therm for the brisket, you could insert then, if you didn't at the beginning of the cook. This assumes you're using water in your pan. I've had problems with brisket on the bottom when using sand.

Hope your cook goes well.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
2. Leave it whole for best results, imo. Fat down. When you're resting it--fat up.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is something I'm still confused about because different people have told me different things. Does the position of the fat cap on a brisket really make a difference? Seems like some do it fat down and others fat up and both say they get good results.

I've always done it fat side up, figuring that the melting fat would seep down into the meat. On the other hand, having the fat down could protect the bottom from the heat.

What's the consensus here?

The fat that's comprises a fatcap doesn't melt into the meat. What little you might see along the edges that might be meltable will run off along the sides. Fatcap down protects it from the heat.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I ended up putting the brisket on the bottom grate, fat side up. It took longer to cook than I'd anticipated because it was on bottom and all the lid opeinings for the ribs.

The ribs turned out great. They were on for 3 hrs @ 225, then foiled with a little apple juice for about 1.5 hrs @ 275. Finished 'em off with another hr unfoiled @ 275. Tender, moist and lots of flavor.

Makes me wish I'd just done 4 or 5 racks of ribs. LOL.

Just need more practice to get the brisket perfect. I had to finish it off in the oven foiled @ 400 so it would be done in time. Of course the bark got kind of soft after being foiled. Oh, well.

My dad said it was better BBQ than he'd had in a long time. That made me feel good.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Brad

Back