Brisket and a Butt, who gets the top?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to try cooking both a brisket and a pork butt this weekend. The brisket is a small one, only 3.2 pounds, and the butt weighs in a 5.3 pounds. My first guess is to put the pork on the upper rack, but will it matter much?

Thanks

Yes, put the butt on top and let that butt baste the brisket. Other than that, just keep an eye on temps. Brisket and butt should both reach about 190 internal. I'm not much help on how long it might take those sizes of cuts to reach nirvana, though, because when I do brisket it's usually a 12 - 14 pounder, and my butts are usually in the 7 to 8 lb range. That being said, though, in my experience when doing a large brisket and butt, my brisket is usually done before the butt. Both will benefit from a tightly foiled and wrapped rest in a warmed ice chest before carving.

Prepare to be inundated with compliments. How are you doing the butt? The "renowned Mr Brown" recipe, which can be found on the "Cooking" link on this site, is an excellent approach.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

We need one of those sayings like they have to differentiate between poisonous and non-poisonous snakes, like, "Butt over brisket, yep, that's the ticket."

(For the uninitiated, one can remember the difference between coral (poisonous) and corn (non-poisonous) snakes by the phrases, "Red touches yellow: dangerous fellow. Red touches black: he's OK, Jack.")

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]

(For the uninitiated, one can remember the difference between coral (poisonous) and corn (non-poisonous) snakes by the phrases, "Red touches yellow: dangerous fellow. Red touches black: he's OK, Jack.") [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Or... Red and yellow, kill a fellow. Red and black, friend of Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back