brisket advice

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

hello all. great site this is.
im doing my first brisket on my wsm. have had much luck with pork shoulders using the minion meathod doing a overnight smoke. the brisket is 10 pounds. if i put on fri night and want it ready by 5 oclock saturday what time should i put it on? Oh and should i foil at end or just let her go? some people told me to seperate the flat from the point at 165 then foil. hmmmm?

If it were me, I'd put it on around 11 or 12 the night before. It could be ready anywhere from 11-3 the next day, depending on variables.

A big brisket can sit double wrapped in HD foil inside a cooler for 4 and maybe even 5 hours.

Ps- I like to keep the point on, but many others seperate it prior to putting in the wsm.

I foil when the brisket breaks plateau...usually around 170 internal.

thanks for the help. some say foil some dont. i know it speeds up cooking time to foil, but some people says it turns to a mushy pot roast
hmmmm decisions decisions

If you foil too soon or let the brisket go much past 190F then you run the risk of "pot roast". Foil at 165 to 170 and remove from the smoker at about 190 and you shouldn't have a problem.

I agree with Craig. Plan to put the meat on ~ midnight. If it is looking nowhere near ready and it is 3:00p, foil and go to the oven. If it somewhat near being ready by 3:00 foil and let it keep going. If it is ready very early, as mine was 2 weeks ago, wrap it like a burrito in foil, towel, and put in a room temperature cooler.
Regardless of when it is ready you must:
Lest it Rest, or
it won't be the Best

Does anybody do brisket like ribs? I have smoked to about 165 and then foil to 185 or so, unfoil (like the glaze step for ribs)to finnish.
Finally, foil and rest for a few hours. No pot roast for me with this method.

hey. one more question. gonna start fat side up, but should i turn it over half way through?

Not necessary. Some who are wiser in the ways of smoke than myself say to flip it on the halves - if you estimate a 12 hour cook, flip it at 6 hours, then at 9 hours, then at 10.5 hours. THEN I got to where I'd have one brisket on the top fat side up and another on the bottom fat side down, and flip grill levels and orientations half way through the cook. Now, I now do all of mine fat side down for the whole cook. I don't foil mine until they're done and I'm putting them up to rest, either. AND, to be even more heretical about it, I often now foil them and rest them fat side DOWN, in an attempt to keep a good bark in place on the flat for presentation purposes. Okay, I take that back - I DON'T foil my briskets when cooking on the WSMs. I DO foil them at around 160-165 if we're cooking them on the stick-burner as they're exposed to much more smoke and moving hot air from the convection effect inside the stick-burner, and they tend to dry out more in the stick-burner than in the WSM. Only time I foil a brisket during cooking in the WSM is if I'm running out of time and have to speed that puppy up.

Keri C

Back