Brisket - 1st cut, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
This isn't my first brisket. Problem is it was the only brisket in the area and was a 1st cut brisket..thin (1"), very little fat cap, weighing in at 4 lbs. The other problem is I really need to do an over night smoke, I'll be at work. Normally my BBQ Guru works great, however in this case unsing the brisket that I have and cooking over night I'm afraid the brisket will be like shoe leather by the time I get home. I'm thinking about covering the brisket with a lot of bacon hoping that will help to keep it from drying out, i will also have 2 pork butts on top rack. It has to be cooked tonight and ready about noon tomorrow. Any ideas?

What's the weight?
1 inch is very thin and you're right to be concerned. It won't need overnight.The bacon will keep it from drying to a point but once it's done, it's done. Any more time after that and you're definitely risking shoe leather, bacon or no. Depending on when you're starting your cook--you could start in it the WSM, rubbed, and with or without bacon. Get some smoke flavor in it then pull and fridge it in a roasting pan just large enough to contain it, covered with foil.Finish it the next day by adding 1/3 c water or beef stock and cooking in a 200 oven. You should still wrap and rest it when done.

Some cook faster than others. You are lucky since you have a small one. If it were me, I would figure about 5 1/2 to 6 hours to be safe. It could be sooner or it could be longer. I would bet on the sooner than longer though. It's kinda of a tough call. I definitely would not try to cook it overnight! If you wanna eat around noon tomorrow you will be fine if you start it early in the morning. If it finishes sooner it will hold for awhile in a cooler. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dan,
9,43,44,81,28. Jurgenson, Taylor, Riggins, Monk and Green? Is that who you were referring to? Those were the days!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back