Brinkman smoker

Donnie Moberly

I recently acquired an old Brinkmann smoker similar to the WSM. My question is...with the bottom being open and no vents, is temperature control an issue? What is the best way to control high or low temps?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donnie Moberly:
I recently acquired an old Brinkmann smoker similar to the WSM. My question is...with the bottom being open and no vents, is temperature control an issue? What is the best way to control high or low temps?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Buy a WSM?

Sorry, as someone in your same predicament many years ago, I couldn't resist. Until you buy that WSM, I would say do your best to keep it out of the wind. You can somewhat control temp by amount of fuel burning vs. how much meat you have cooking, but breeze or gusts of wind are just going to drive you nuts. Long cooks are going to be tough, as the charcoal sits in its own ash, smothering itself over time. Shorter cooks that are forgiving of temp spikes are easier-- chicken, ribs. The caveat against peeking, opening the lid too often are best observed with the ECB-type cooker.

Price was right......free
icon_smile.gif
BTW - I have a WSM, and love it.

Giving it to my dad to see if smoking interests him. If it does, I will definitely suggest a WSM.

Thanks for the info.

Father's Day is coming up. Buy him a WSM. Then smoking and BBQ definitely will interest him. And if by some remote chance it doesn't-- 2nd WSM for you. It's a win-win.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Giving it to my dad to see if smoking interests him. If it does, I will definitely suggest a WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are trying to get your father hooked on smoking, you should not let him get near an ECB or you will guaranty that he will dislike it.

Back