Brining Question

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
I have a question about brining. After the brining is done, should you wash the brine off of the meat or do you leave the brine on and just let the meat dry? I have heard it recommended both ways. Also what are the benefits of each?

I would definitely wash it off. Not sure what the rationale would be for leaving the brine on. It certainly wouldn't help the flavor at all.

After you are done brining, you want to give it a good rinse in cold, running water to make sure you get rid of any and all possible salt deposits on the surface. Also, the brine water can get pretty murky - you don't want that stuff on the surface of the meat. Once you have rinsed it well, if you want to dry it, pat it with paper towels and let it air dry in the fridge (for chicken or turkey, air drying helps immensely in getting a crisp skin).

I wash it off, dry it with paper towels, and place in the fridge on a wire rack for 8-10 hrs to dry up.
icon_smile.gif

John's right - it'll be way too salty unless your rinse it well. Even then you may want to cut back on the amount of salt used in your rub when applying to a piece of brined meat.

Back