Brining pork butts or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo M.

TVWBB Fan
I've done a lot of butts on my WSM. I even did a "tasting" where I brined one shoulder and didn't the other. Seems that 5 out of 5 taste testers could tell the difference; the brined shoulder was said to be "juicier and more flavorful" even though I was meticulous about ensuring the care of the two butts was as close to identical as possible.

For years I've brined chicken, pork, and shrimp when cooking and so I naturally brined the shoulders prior to the rubs going on.

Does anyone else spend this much time on their butts? It takes a large Coleman cooler with brining solution bags and ice but I'm not getting complaints. Maybe it's time I just dusted some butts and smoked 'em?

Comments welcomed on brining shoulders before smoking.

Nope. Never brined a P Butt, yet that is. Brining does wonders for other stuff so I say, why not Pork Butt. I might just give that a try soon.
DP

I brined the last butts I did, a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time and I was very pleased........... I will do it again. I also cut some slits into them to increase the exposure and bark. Will do that again, also.

Well, up at 5am and took two boneless shoulders out of the brine this morning (15 lbs total). Went into the WSM and dropped in a dry-rub beef brisket with them at 6:30am. Seems I have my day set for me!

Dave from Pitt, PA: what brine brew do you use?

Three hours into it with the temp bouncing between 228 and 234 (gusts of wind I guess). I'm expecting a full 12 hour pull for this but I'm not too certain. This is the most meat I've had in my WSM (21 lbs) and so I'll have to play it by ear.

If it hadn't been o-dark-thirty and I would have been a bit more prepared I would have taken pictures. I'll console myself with Q.

Glenn,

Like I said earlier, 5 out of 5 picked out the brined butt as "better, juicier" than the unbrined.

I know it has always made a difference in poultry and smaller pork (tenderloins, chops, even loins) so I kept the tradition.

So, I'll keep brining but probably because I want to, not 'cause I need to.

Jimbo,
I understood that everyone tasted a difference. Thats great. I too brine poultry, but nothing else

Did you think the improvement was worth the extra effort for the butt?

Glenn,

I guess I'd say that, for me, it's the same "effort" as not brining because I have it down to where I can do it in my sleep.

So, for me, I discount any "extra effort" and say that it's the tasted difference that matters.

For others, the extra effort may be too great because the difference was seen as minimal. I think the only fair way to test is the "side-by-side" comparison and then judge for yourself.

Now, the fact that I sneak some beers into the cooler with the butts (in bags of brine) and ice may also have some influence. Hey, that may make it "BUI" ... brining under the influence (sorry, but just popped out).

So, I'll continue to brine ... unless I forget, and then the butts are still hittin' the smoker.

Jimbo,

Thanks for the answer. I can't argue with "it's the taste that matters". And your answer that you will continue to brine them provides additional insight too, at least to me.

I just never did it before on a butt. Sounds like I should try it.

It seemed like mixing up the brine, then washing it off was extra work. However 5 out of 5 says something too. Thanks for the answer.

Glenn

Glenn,

I use a cup of Kosher salt, a cup of sugar (light brown, dark brown, raw ... you choose), a couple of bay leaves and a pinch of black peppercorns. This goes into a gallon or more of cold water, stirred until dissolved, and then the butts hit the brine solution. I have some Cambro containers that I bought that hold up to 7 lb shoulders with liquid. These I plop into my Coleman cooler and throw the automatic ice bin on top. Before I had the Cambro, I used waste basket liner bags to hold the shoulders. This was a bit harder, but still doable.

Twenty-four hours later I pull the pork but I don't rinse. I just blot dry with paper towels and then apply rub. I don't normally let my rub sit on the pork shoulder overnight; rather, it goes onto the pork and then straight to the WSM.

Jimbo,

If you are ever interested in a really nice pepper mill, let me know. It costs about $35, but "the Magnum" rocks! When I do your recipe, I'm gonna use cracked pepper corns.

I'm surprised you don't rinse the brine. I always have done so, but never tried just blotting. Thats even less work! Plus I have always left the rub on overnight. Always. You may have made my job easier with your suggestions. Thanks for answering my questions!

Glenn

Glenn,

Let me know how it turns out if you get the chance to try something new. I'm always looking for a way to shortcut some prep time.

Jimbo, I use pretty much the same recipe for my brine as you except I also add a couple of tablsespoons of garlic powder and onion powder. For pork chops I substitute cheap apple juice for the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back