brining my turkey

Nicole

TVWBB Member
Ok folks, I'm brining my turkey as I speak, but the thing is-------I bought a cooler just for brining and it only covers half the turkey. My solution to this problem is to turn it over after 12 hour and brine the other side. Will it make a difference if it is not fully covered?

Nicole,

I think it would make a difference as the purpose of brining is to ... well ... brine. I think you're going to risk over-brining some of the turkey and under-brining other parts.

How large is the bird? Could you rig up some temporary solution to the problem ... maybe use bags?

I'm using keri's apple recipe, and she marinates it for 24 hours. I't's a 12lb bird and I'll marinate it for only 20. Should I add more water and ice to make the brine completely cover it?

Your going to need to fully submerge the bird during the entire process, in addition to keeping it between 34-40°. Bagging, adding brine and flushing out air, or burying the bagged bird in ice (or heavily iced water), and then filling the bag with brine are a couple options-- other than making enough brine to actually cover the turkey. I obtained a 3 gallon bucket originally used for bulk aquarium fish food that comfortably fits a 10-14 pounder submerged in 1-3/4 gallons of brine, and also fits in my refrigerator.

Nicole, I solve that problem by putting the turkey into a large plastic bag. I use two clean white 13-gallon tall kitchen trash bags, tucked one inside the other to give a double strength, although some will recommend to use only food-specific bags. You can also use a LARGE oven roasting bag. Put your turkey in the bag, pour the brine over it till well-covered, press out the air and seal with a twist-tie, set the bag upright down in the cooler, and prop it up with a bag or two of ice and folded towels stuffed in around it. My favorite way of doing a single turkey is to put the bird in the plastic bag, pour the brine in on the bird, and press out all the air possible and seal the bag with a twist-tie. I then place the bag down inside a clean 5-gallon plastic bucket and pack ice around and on top of the bag, and set it in the bathtub (or on the back porch if it's good and cold outside). Refresh the ice every so often to make sure all stays cold.

Just my methods... you do want your entire bird to be submerged, though.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I misunderstood your question ... if the issue is that you don't have enough brine but the container is large enough (I thought it was too small) ... just make more brine ... enough to cover the bird. You might need to put a weight of some sort on the turkey to keep it submerged.

How's THAT for service, Nicole? 5 responses within three minutes of each other...
icon_smile.gif

Now, Nicole ... what's funny about having a turkey soaking in cold saltwater in a bucket in your bathtub?

(I suppose a warning for guests would be in order.)

ok, since I'm out of juice I can't make another brine. So I'm going to use the plastic bags. Thanks every one!!!

If you use the plastic bags and set them down in the cooler, it helps to pull the necks of the plastic bags over the edge of the cooler and clamp the lid down on them to help hold the doubled bags upright. Those birds tend to want to lay down if they're not propped up well. Reach in a give 'em a slosh-around occasionally, as well. I hope you like my apple-turkey. Everyone that we've done them for seems to like them. It isn't a creative or particularly original recipe, by any means, but it's pretty dependable.

ok Dennis, your not funny. I'll tell you whats funny, Shark Tail. i got it for the kids for valentines, but being a parent, I get to watch it before them.

Back