Brining beer can chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Landis

TVWBB Member
Just wondering do most of you brine your beer can chickens? I am gonna have my first attempt at chickens this week, gonna use the Texas BBQ brisket sample I have, loved the original on a butt last weekend, looking forward to trying #2.

Tom no brining needed. Guess you could if you wanted to. The beer in the can steaming into the cavity prvides plenty of moisture. Bryan

I brine all my chicken, whether I grill or smoke. It not only keeps it moist, but adds flavor to the chicken. In the smoker, I use a dry water pan so the temp can get up to 300*. This will help the liquid steam. The liquid doesn't have to be beer. It can be any fruit juice or water with garlic, onion, and other spices to impart flavor. I always figured beer was for drinking. I just take a bite of chicken and a drink of beer and get the same results.

I don't technically "brine" my birds, but I do inject then with a beer/salt/garlic solution the night before and let the bird sit in a large bowl with that same solution all around it. I suppose it's kind of like a brine, but the bird is never totally submerged.

I am with Bryan on the beer can chicken. No need to brine. Dont get me wrong, you can do whatever you want but the bird will be moist and flavorful, either way, oh yes. Dont forget to season the bird inside and out, throw 2-3 cloves of garlic in the can,"if you like" add a couple slices of lemon and cook on the grill, skin on. I only de-skin the bird when I use WSM but I also brine the bird, then I slather with mayo and rub and smoke accordingly. Never any leftovers either way I cook chicken.

De-Skin, is that a word? ha ha...
DP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back