Brining and freezing

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Is it a good idea to brine e.g. chicken filets before putting in the freezer or does it ruin the effects of the brining? It would be quite convenient to have ready brined pieces of meat to thaw in the fridge while at work and when there isn't enough time to brine before cooking.

Unless you're able to flash-freeze I wouldn't recommend it. It works, but not as well as making your brine before leaving for work, putting it in the fridge, and putting the frozen filets in the brine to thaw while you're away. For bone-in chicken that will take longer to thaw you can do the same thing--just do it sooner. 1/4 cup Kosher per quart of liquid (or a bit less) is enough salt for the brine in this instance.

DC; use 3 T Morton or 2 T table. I should have mentioned that and I also should have mentioned that if you're planning a flavor brine make one without an acid component, just use aromatics/herbs, etc. It is hard to know how long it will take for your filets or pieces to completely thawed and brined. While this is occurring the already-thawed portions on the exterior of the pieces wouold be exposed to the acidic component(s) for too long and would likely end up 'cooked' or mushy.

Back