Brined and Smoked

Lynn K

Hey there everyone,
I know I haven't been posting much of anything since I got my SMW, but I thought since I followed the the information on this site to smoke my first whole chicken, I'd post a photo of the finish shot.

For the sides, I cooked up some zucchini, portobello mushrooms, onions, carrots and potatoes in a olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper mixture.

For the brine, I used this recipe:
  • 16 cups water
  • 3/4 cup kosher salt
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 heads garlic, crushed and chopped
  • 1/4 cup dried sage, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup dried basil, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
  • 1 large bay leaf

I didn't have enough basil, so I added oregano and thyme.

Attachments

• IMG_3923.JPG
    IMG_3923.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3924.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Lynn, that's a great looking bird! Welcome to TVWBB, and thanks for sharing your first cook!

Rich

Lynn, that's a great looking bird! Welcome to TVWBB, and thanks for sharing your first cook!

Rich
Thanks Rich. Not my first cook of anything, just my first cook of a whole chicken.

The chicken came out nice and tender. I would use this brine recipe again.

Welcome Lynn, Can you taste the brine ingredients? I've been using only br sugar and salt. Have one on the grill as I type.

Welcome Lynn, Can you taste the brine ingredients? I've been using only br sugar and salt. Have one on the grill as I type.
Sorry for the late reply. I thought it would be too salty, but it wasn't. As far as the other ingredients, yes they do come through in the meat.

Back