brine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
Anyone ever used anything else but honey in the
Honey Brine recipe st the web site? I was thinking of trying cane syrup. I hate to sound cheap,but honey seems to be expensive considering you just throw it away when done.

Brinning without honey is done a lot, any flavors you add to the brine will influence the outcome.
Jim

I was really pleased with using seafood boil seasoning in my last WSM turkey brine. It contains some very nice aromatics, including clove, allspice, thyme, pepper and lemon. Would probably be very interesting for pork butt, too.

Yes, the liquid. I think I used 3 tablespoons in the original gallon of brine, which was cut 50/50 with ice water for the actual overnight soak.

Although the liquid is super easy, I suppose you could use the bags, since you're boiling the brine to dissolve the salt and other seasonings. But, since the bags are designed to be used in several gallons in a boiling pot, it would be hard to say just how long you would want to boil one in a one gallon batch of brine.

Thanks Doug for a great idea! I enjoy smoking fish usually mullet... They run in the Altamaha River near my home this time every year... They are wonderful to fry when there fresh however lose texture and taste quickly...They don't freeze well even for a week... Smoking is a great way to extend the enjoyment for a couple of weeks... I usually brine them in salt water over night b4 smoking... I would have never thought of using Zatarain's in the brine, however I use it all the time with crab and shrimp... Great Idea!!!

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back