Brine Until You Dine...

Spencer P

TVWBB Member
I have been on the quest to make some juicy thick cut pork chops. I had tried many different recipes that were calling a marinade a "brine", however it seemed as if there wasn't enough salt to get the marinade into the meat. Also, some of these recipes say that you have to brine for "up to 8 hours". I have been buying pork chops that are about 2" thick and 8 hours wasn't even making a difference.

So, after reading the brining section on the site and members mentioned that they are pulling their pork at 140-145 mark instead of the 160, I had to give this a try.

First, I made the "high temp" version of the brine. I scaled it up for one gallon. I let the chops brine for 24 hours, turning them once half way through the time. I went to my local restaurant supply store and got a "Cambro" plastic container that holds three gallons and fits in the fridge nicely.

After the brining process, they were visibly more plump. I even pulled one out by the flesh and my thumbprint stayed in the meat. I knew this was going to be better than the shoe leather I had last week.

I created a two zone fire with a drip pan on the indirect side. I used Royal Oak lump for fuel. I put the chops on the grill and checked them about every 5 minutes or so. I rotated them so they would cook evenly. After 30 minutes they registered 140 with a digital probe. I pulled them and let them rest for 10 minutes.

Once I cut into them, I couldn't believe how much juicier they were. There was a very slight hint of pink, but that didn't bother me.

Now that this is working for me, I'm working on merging the high temp brine recipe with one that is in Chris Lilly's book for his pork chops. If this works out, I'll post what I came up with for others to try.

Here they are...
Here they are half way through cooking.

Have a good one. Spencer

Glad that worked out for you Spencer. I have been pulling pork off the grill at 135 degrees for about a year now and during the rest it usually bumps up to 140 depending on the thickness. Results nice and juicy..

Tonight I grilled up a pork loin. I brined it for 24 hours in a brine that is a mixture of the "high heat" brine that is on this site and Chris Lilly's marinade that he uses on his pork chops. Here is a photo of the result:

Jucy Pork Loin, YUM!

Here is what I used for the brine:
2 quarts Water
2 quarts Apple Juice
1 Cup Kosher Salt (I used Morton's)
1 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Ground Black Pepper
1/4 Cup Minced Garlic
1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
2 Bay Leaves

This makes a gallon, so if you don't need that much you can scale it back.

Next time I think I will let it go for 48 hours for a juicer end product and pull it at 135 instead of 140. I did add a few small hickory pieces for smoke, however it wasn't enough. Easy fix though.

Thanks...

Spencer

Spencer, I'm with ya on the pork chop and loin brines. Been a while since I cooked a loin but Chris Lilly's pork chops is a regular menu item around here. I noticed the other day that Adam Perry Lang has a similiar recipe in his book, Serious BBQ.

Spencer: I use this on chops and loins. I found it in an old copy of BH&G yrs ago. Normally I omit the oil, but an over-nite bath is more than sufficient.
I like Sugar Maple on loins/chops with this. I'll try yours next time.
Thatza one good lookin loin bro!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Great looking chops, Spencer.

I smoked/grilled a pork loin last week. I marinated it in homemade Italian dressing, using Dr. BBQ's recipe for 48 hrs, turning twice. About two hours before cooking, I rinsed off the marinade and injected the loin with a mixture of teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice, and sprinkled some dry rub on the pork loin, then let it sit until time to put on the grill. Cooked indirect until the center registered 140°. I will cut half a pork loin into chops and brine them before grilling.

I will try both of these recipes next week. I did some reading about brining and I didn't realize that only the OUTSIDE actually is affected by the brine. I think I will try marinating and basting while on the grill. The article that I was reading showed that after a 24 hours soak in brine that only 1/2" was affected!

Also, I think injecting is a great idea to get the flavor inside the meat. Thanks all for the wonderful input. More to come...

Spencer

Really? I thought it was the opposite. Marinades only penetrate 1/4 -1/2" into the meat. Brines which have the right salt content do a wizard of ozmosis which carries that flavor deep into the meat. I could be wrong (normal) Maybe someone else can chime in on this?
LOL I just looked at my post count, I was 10 yrs old in 1968. What a time it was back then
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Timothy, you're probably right.

I've been under the impression that marinating is what's overrated. Since pork loin is such a blank canvas, me and the Missus much prefer to just slice into decently thick chops and BRINE. I suspect that Chris Lilly's pork chop brine is hard to beat.

Pretty much what I've been doing...I brine using morton kosher salt, sugar. 4 hours minimum. Indirect cook vent opposite coals for 40 minute turning once on an 18". Usually pull at 145 and let set for 10 minutes.

I agree with all of you. I thought this was supposed to be the answer until I read this...

http://www.amazingribs.com/rec...s/zen_of_brines.html

If you look at the article in the orange box on the right of the web page, you can see what this scientist did. Even though I used A LOT of minced garlic in my brine, none of the flavor made it into the meat. I let it set for 24 hours, may be I need to let it sit for 48 hours next time. See what you all think. Does this make sense?

Spencer

Thanks for posting that Spencer. I seen it before but never really read that part..Interesting.

Tim

Back