Bread Machine

I'm trying to make Bryan's pizza dough in my bread machine ATM and I'm wish I had more manual control. There is just one 2hr dough cycle on mine, then end, take it or leave it.

It starts out with a 30 minute gentle warming of the ingrediants. For making this cold ferment pizza dough I wish I could turn the prewarm off.

It would be nice if one could manually turn it on to stir (a slow pulse), mix/knead (constant paddle spinning) as well.

Ooh, if I could tell it how long to mix for that would be sweet!

Originally posted by Shawn W:
So Bryan, would you buy that one again or a different one?
Shawn, I would buy it again. While the flour in the corners is minimal, it's a great machine. You just have so many options with this machine, to me the flour in the corners is trivial. Not a big deal if your awake to scrape it out during the first mix/knead cycle. I've never used the delay timmer so no biggie for me. I can do a dough only cycle or a bake only cycle, 3 different loaf sizes, 1.5, 2 and 2.5lb loafs. The sour dough cycle, super rapid cycle, makes a loaf in about an hr, jams etc. a fruit and nut disspenser, A 6 personal favorite recipes cycle that stores your recipes and you can pull them up on the LCD screen, plus all the recipes that are stored in the machine you can pull up also. It has all the bells and whistles on it, and I'm still figuring it out. The one I have is the Breadman TR4000, which they no longer make. It's prob 4-5 years old by now. The loaf I made yesterday was a 2lb loaf that measured 6.5" tall and was made with the Ceresota AP flour I use for my pizza dough, but that flour has a high gluten content for an AP flour, over 12% IIRC. I didn't have any Bread flour on hand. I can't imagine using bread flour and making a 2.5 lb loaf, it would be huge.

Let me ask you guys this, if it were not for the delay timers, would you really find something like this useful enough to take up more counter/shelf space?

My 500W KA mixer will do all the kneading work for me, then I can bake it in my oven, in whatever shape I choose, on my stone, or in a loaf pan.

I had one that I put out for pick up, simply cause I never used it. It was given to me years ago, I think I used it twice, maybe three times tops.

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Let me ask you guys this, if it were not for the delay timers, would you really find something like this useful enough to take up more counter/shelf space?
Tom, I use mine when I have other things to do or just feeling lazy. I make bread with my KA mixer as well. Think of a Bread machine like the BBQ Guru. I don't use it all the time, but sure glad I have it when I need it.
icon_wink.gif
Mine's going full tilt as I type this. Making a specialty bread tonight.
icon_biggrin.gif

I use mine mainly for bread loaves so using a bread maker just makes sense to me. Less work and less clean-up this way too. And, it does a pretty good job.

Bill

Originally posted by Tom Chips:

My 500W KA mixer will do all the kneading work for me, then I can bake it in my oven, in whatever shape I choose, on my stone, or in a loaf pan.

I had one that I put out for pick up, simply cause I never used it. It was given to me years ago, I think I used it twice, maybe three times tops.

If I had a KA mixer I'd probably use it more than the ABM. Although I do have a pretty much fool-proof basic white bread recipe that I can just toss in the machine and have a perfectly fine hot loaf of bread in about 3 hours without having to touch it. It's nice to have that kind of set-it-and-forget-it convenience for only about 60 bux.
icon_wink.gif

I know the original post was about using a bread machine to mix pizza dough, but the thread evolved into a general bread machine discussion, so I'll add this.

Put away your bread machine, and get a dutch oven (cast iron or ceramic) and look up the "No Knead Bread Recipe".

It makes amazing "artisan" style bread with no kneading or other effort whatsoever, with a very thick, beautiful, crunchy crust.

You will madly impress anyone who sees your loaves as well - they make you look like a wizard of bread.

Ya-hoo, my Christmas wish came through. the in laws picked me up a nice looking Cuisinart 2lb bread maker. i make some sourdough bread from a box they gave me. any place you recommend getting recipes? what should i try next? btw the bread was pretty good, but had kind of funky after taste. thinking it was they kind of mix.

Back