Bratwurst?

Norman Stein

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has ever smoked (uncooked) bratwurst, or if its even possible.

Any recipes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Norm

I stick it on the smoker and it turns out very good. I saw a "Tailgate" cooking comp on the food network where they took some football tailgaters form several teams and they had a Comp to see who had the best pre-game tailgate party food. Some guy from Green Bay had some type of sausage there and he boiled it in seasoned water. I forget if he cut it open before the boil or not, but I think I am going to try this sometime also. I put my Brats on for up to 2 hours at around 225 at the lid while I have a Picnic on there. Brats at lunch, pork for dinner. Anyway, taste great.

poke several pin size holes in the skin and let them simmer in beer for 10-15 mins then finish on the grill, ive never tried to smoke em, may be good though

Taker it from a true Wisconsin bratwurst fan, smoked brats are excellent. Give them a couple hours at 225 and then finish them on the grill to get some nice color and char marks. For fresh brats, grill them first and then simmer them in beer (add an onion or garlic if you like) for about a 1/2 hour. They will be nice and juicy, great flavor. I used to boil first and then grill, however once I tried boiling them after grilling, I never went back. It really makes a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Plunkett:
Taker it from a true Wisconsin bratwurst fan, smoked brats are excellent. Give them a couple hours at 225 and then finish them on the grill to get some nice color and char marks. For fresh brats, grill them first and then simmer them in beer (add an onion or garlic if you like) for about a 1/2 hour. They will be nice and juicy, great flavor. I used to boil first and then grill, however once I tried boiling them after grilling, I never went back. It really makes a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah man!
icon_cool.gif
And welcome aboard!!
icon_cool.gif

Noem search this board for "brat boats", killer recipe. I smoke them(I use my home made ones) without out the water pan and they are done in 2 hours and no more.

I agree with the brat boats; they are easy to do and very tasty.

Slit the brat not quite end to end. Mix some kraut with ketchup and/or mustard. Stuff the mixture into the brats. Smoke for a couple hours at 225 - 250 until done.

I got this recipe from the cookbook that came with my ECB.

I just did a few pounds the other day with some other goodies while breaking in my new gasser. Slit them a little, simmered with some Texas rub in the water, put them on the gasser the rest of the way.

I take uncooked brats and put them on the smoker at 225 until they reach 160 (I will have to double check this temp). I dont poke holes in them or anything. They are absolutely incredible and one of my favorites. Sweet italian sausage is really good too.

What do you guys like to use for wood? I usually am called upon to make brats for all functions and would like to try something different. I generally boil in beer first then grill. The way it was explained to me is that the alcohol acts as a solvent and softens up the fat in the brat so when you grill it the juice will better soak into the meat. Probably bs but I love the results.

Chris,
I have always tossed them on when I am doing another item on the smoker. I have used cherry, apple, or hickory. All come out well. When doing on the smoker, I don't simmer ahead of time, but I do when I am using the gasser or the kettle. When I simmer them, I notice a big difference in the skin being not as tuff to bite into. If I simmer ahead of time for the smoker, It doesn't get as much good smoke flavor in the meat. That's just my opinion.
Have fun

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
I don't simmer ahead of time, but I do when I am using the gasser or the kettle. When I simmer them, I notice a big difference in the skin being not as tuff to bite into. If I simmer ahead of time for the smoker, It doesn't get as much good smoke flavor in the meat. That's just my opinion.
Have fun </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you like, poach them in simmering--about 175-185 degrees (not boiling)--water or beer till they float pretty well, then dry them well before putting them in the smoker. They need to be dry to get smoked good.

Back