Brand New WSM 18.5

Brian Pratt

When I bought my El Cheap Brinkman the instructions said to fire it up to cure the smoker. The instructions for the WSM don't say that but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to and if others do it? Planning on a smoking a beer can chicken tomorrow. Thanks and happy cooking!

No need to cure.

It will run hotter at first, but that is fine for beer can chicken.

What temp are you shooting for on your cook?

Thanks for the quick reply. To be honest I haven't read a recipe yet just have a bird in the fridge dying to be smoked. Now off to search these very forums for a recipe.

IMG_1177.jpg

You might want to prop the access door to achieve higher temps.

Notice the access door is on upside down.

Doing a test burn will help you to learn how to regulate and stabilize your temps without having to worry about actually cooking something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Pratt:
Thanks for the quick reply. To be honest I haven't read a recipe yet just have a bird in the fridge dying to be smoked. Now off to search these very forums for a recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i followed this recipe last weekend and it turned out fantastic.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken2.html

Call me out if you want but I say just smoke away. Ever buy a new car and put it up on blocks for the first few thousand miles while you watch?
I expect the answer is no.

Enjoy.

James

Brian-

its not so much a question of seasoning (like one would w/new cast iron skillets),but rather buring off any residual oil from the manufacturing process. Sounds like you have already cooked though. not a big deal.

TeeHee

It can't be good to eat this much BBQ.

I would cook a brisket right now if... 1) I'd ever tasted brisket and knew the texture it's supposed to be and 2.)could find a brisket anywhere.

Looks like I may have to order one from the butcher($$$)

Is a brisket supposed to fall apart like a shoulder? Or it more like the consistency of say a pot roast? Sort of stringy and a little drier?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It can't be good to eat this much BBQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...but it sure is fun.
Concerning brisket, I say roll up your sleeves and jump into it. Try this for High Heat Method and this for Overnight low 'n slow brisket. Read all you can about brisket selection Here. Good luck.

Back