Brainstorming BBQ Fundraiser - $500 Max Equip Value

Michael L.

TVWBB Fan
I remember reading on here (probably years ago) about a group that put on a BBQ competition. The key was that you could not compete on equipment that cost more than $500 retail. Meaning Traegers and custom rigs were off limits. Weber Kettles, WSM's, so forth are totally legit.

I'm looking at trying to put something like this together in my town. I'm in the early infantile stage of just brainstorming at this point. But the basic outline would be something like.

* 20 Competitors - $50 buy in each
* Additional funds raised by Sponsors
* Get a couple legit KCBS judges: Plus one or two public figures, local celeb's, etc..
* Easy categories like: chicken thighs, Flat Iron Steak, Ribs

I'm looking for any help from anyone who has ever attended, competed, or organzied anything like this in the past.

I'm no stranger to fundraisers. I've coordinated golf tournaments in the past. Just not a BBQ event.

I think it would be fun. I'm betting I could get some local businesses to donate some money, or gift cards to help pay for costs and prizes. I wouldn't give away money for a prize as the money would all be going to the charity (undetermined). But if lowes wanted to offer a gift card then I could see giving a first place trophy and a gift card or something like that.

I think I would need to rent tents for the judges and turn in booths. What about power? Do I need electricity? Lighting? Refrigeration?

There is a local shopping center near the freeway where I live that has huge parking lot in a new development that is currently getting a lot of attention. I'm betting they will let me use the empty space to host this thing. Would bring attention to both the stores in the area, and also to the new development site as well.

I'm planning on getting the meat donated and handed out to people as they arrive and booths are set up.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Back