Bought a bunch of OAK

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys I bought a bunch of split OAK. I have never used it before but I know it has long burn times and a hot fire. Anyone one have experiece with it?
thanks
Rick

Oak is one of the most popular smoking/grilling woods. In some parts of the country, it is the about the only wood used. It is especially good for beef.

I like to make sure there is no bark.

Smoke On !

Jim,

Is your preference of no bark specific to oak or all woods? I have found no problem with bark on other woods like cherry, hickory, and maple - but I am new to oak like Rick.

Thanks!

Oak bark used to be used as a source of tannin for making leather. Although oak itself has tannin in it, the bark has a higher concentration.

"Oak bark averages 10% tannin. Oak wood = 6%"

Knowing that, I have always avoided the bark with oak, but others may not notice any difference when they use oak.

Thanks Jim,

I have two fully packer briskets on the cooker right now and the Oak smells beautiful.

The guy I get it from always takes the bark off.

Thanks
Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Thanks Jim,

I have two fully packer briskets on the cooker right now and the Oak smells beautiful.

The guy I get it from always takes the bark off.

Thanks
Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man that sounds so good. Many years ago around the Houston area, a lot of black pit masters used oak on their brisket. After all these years, I can still taste it. Don't know if that is still the case.

Now I'm gonna have to find some oak and brisket around here for my next smoke. LOL

Enjoy!

I use oak most of the time. I had a large 'limb' off a live oak that had to be cut and it provided about 1/4 cord of good wood. Provides great flavor.

Back