Bottom shelf rotten

JamesRDR

Hey guys,
First time posting on here. I just got a free 2005 Weber genesis silver B. Everything is in great condition except the bottom is rusted out, so I can put the front doors on. I’m having trouble finding the part too. I have found the frame that goes around the outside. Does anyone have experience fixing this. Was thinking maybe take a piece of plywood and spray paint and fit in there and drill holes for the doors. I am also missing one of the bars for the door that supports it. Any hardware store fixes for that? Thanks guys I’ve already got lots of great advice reading through this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2430.jpeg
    IMG_2430.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 32
Welcome James! The rusty bottom is a common problem with the grills that have an enclosed cabinet. You could definitely replace it with a piece of plywood if you want to. I don't know if they stil sell that replacement bottom piece or not.

Looks like you could probably unbolt the bottom shelf or cut it out. The frame connectors should keep it solid and if you want you could probably swap in a rear panel as replacement from a donor on market place or others online spots.

Last edited:
The bottom shelf on those basically just pops in/out. If you look underneath, you will see the silver clips at either end. You may have to remove the back panel as well to remove it.

You can simply cut a piece of ply wood to lay over it or you can replace that panel entirely. The problem is that after you remove the bottom panel, you lose the side to side stability to the grill frame that it provides. There are a couple fixes for that though. You can weld in a front and back cross member. You can fab them in using tube connecting nuts. Then you can find the drop in wire rack from another Silver B. Or you can fab in some type of replacement for the bottom panel.

Or you can locate another Genesis Silver B that has the heavy wire rack bottom that snaps into place and provides that side to side stability. If you use the heavy grate solution, you cannot use the side and front panels however.

Here is a grill (Genesis Silver C) I just sold where I removed the bottom panel and then added the front and back cross members using 1" aluminum tubing and tubing connecting nuts. Then I simply riveted a panel of sheet aluminum to the bottom. No more rust worries. If you want to do something like this, you can re-use the side, back and front panels of the cabinet, but you need to do some more modification.

20230729 Genesis Silver C.jpg20230729_151841.jpg20230729_151903.jpg20230729_151927.jpg20230802 Genesis Silver C - Green Head (3).jpg

Here is a grill I just sold (Silver B) where I added the cabinet panels back in after replacing the floor.

20230811 Genesis - Gray Head (7).jpg20230811 Genesis - Gray Head (6).jpg

The bottom shelf on those basically just pops in/out. If you look underneath, you will see the silver clips at either end. You may have to remove the back panel as well to remove it.

You can simply cut a piece of ply wood to lay over it or you can replace that panel entirely. The problem is that after you remove the bottom panel, you lose the side to side stability to the grill frame that it provides. There are a couple fixes for that though. You can weld in a front and back cross member. You can fab them in using tube connecting nuts. Then you can find the drop in wire rack from another Silver B. Or you can fab in some type of replacement for the bottom panel.

Or you can locate another Genesis Silver B that has the heavy wire rack bottom that snaps into place and provides that side to side stability. If you use the heavy grate solution, you cannot use the side and front panels however.

Here is a grill (Genesis Silver C) I just sold where I removed the bottom panel and then added the front and back cross members using 1" aluminum tubing and tubing connecting nuts. Then I simply riveted a panel of sheet aluminum to the bottom. No more rust worries. If you want to do something like this, you can re-use the side, back and front panels of the cabinet, but you need to do some more modification.

View attachment 77426View attachment 77427View attachment 77428View attachment 77429View attachment 77430

Here is a grill I just sold (Silver B) where I added the cabinet panels back in after replacing the floor.

View attachment 77432View attachment 77431
Hi Bruce, great solution to the rusted bottom. I’m restoring the exact setup and looking to go the route you laid out. Can you provide details on where/how you attached the front/rear 1” tubing? You mention connecting nuts?
Thanks

Back